Help for Businesses
Across New York State we see examples that prove that businesses that employ sound environmental decisions in their operations are the strongest, most successful enterprises around. Whether you need help with a permit application (contact the appropriate Regional Permit Administrator, or refer to our Permits page for more information), or are interested in finding ways to make your business more green, building a partnership with DEC early in the process is the best way to achieve a successful outcome: one that's good for the environment and great for your bottom line.
Sound environmental choices build successful businesses. Whatever your need, this is the place to start.
Permit Information and Assistance
DEC can help your business grow both in
efficiency and environmental responsibility Get the assistance that your business needs to obtain a permit or check the status of a pending permit application. These resources will help you determine if you need a permit and what regulatory guidelines you should be aware of.
Environmental Audit Incentive Policy
Commissioner Policy 59- Environmental Audit Incentive encourages regulated entities to audit their operations and adopt effective approaches to prevent violations, such as using environmental management systems and pollution prevention techniques. This will improve compliance with environmental laws statewide, and protect public health and the environment.
This Policy reduces or waives penalties for violations that are discovered and disclosed voluntarily, as well as for violations discovered during pollution prevention or compliance assistance. Businesses are encouraged through incentives to go "beyond compliance" by agreeing to evaluate and incorporate environmental management and pollution prevention into their systems.
Greening Your Business
Improve your bottom line and incorporate sustainability into your everyday business practices. Today's businesses face a variety of challenges. Greening up your operation shouldn't be one of them. DEC is pleased to invest in the state's economy through its partnership with the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute. NYSP2I offers unparalleled capabilities in the fields of remanufacturing, polymer processing, toxics reduction, resource conservation, and environmental engineering.
Contracting with DEC
DEC enters into contracts for commodities and services that are needed to fulfill its mission, including promoting Minority and Women-Owned Businesses (M/WBE). The Department also enters into contracts to provide State and local assistance funding to eligible recipients.
Statewide Business Website
The "New NY Works for Business" website provides quick access to information for all areas of business assistance available from New York State. From starting a business, to accessing tax credits and funding incentives, to international trade, to regional assistance. This will be a one-stop shop for all businesses to successfully thrive in New York.
More about Help for Businesses:
- Farms and Other Agricultural Businesses - information to assist the agricultural community in complying with environmental requirements.
- Permit Information and Assistance - Assistance with obtaining a permit or determining the status of a pending permit. Links to other resources and technical assistance for businesses.
- Greening Your Business - Programs and resources to help businesses operate in a more sustainable manner. Information on waste management, pollution prevention, and tax credits for green building.
- Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) - Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) is the recently adopted overhaul of the chemicals management systems in the European Union (EU).
- NYS Pollution Prevention Institute - The NYS Pollution Prevention Institute (P2I) promotes cost effective methods to conserve energy, reduce wastes and improve performance.
- New York Environmental Leaders - An environmental leadership program to motivate New York's regulated community to implement environmental management systems (EMSs) that focus on improved environmental performance. The program provides recognition and incentives to organizations that are able to demonstrate, and provide future commitment to, improved environmental performance.
- Environmental Management System - An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a set of management tools and principles designed to create the administrative procedures that an organization needs to integrate environmental concerns into its daily business practices
- College Student Internships for Sustainability - Host a summer intern to help with an environmental project that "goes beyond compliance."