D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

HHW State Assistance Program FAQs

Household Hazardous Waste State Assistance Program

Who is eligible for funding?

Only municipalities are eligible to apply for State assistance under this program. Under this State assistance program, a municipality is any:

  • county, city, town, or village;
  • local public authority or public benefit corporation;
  • school district or supervisory district; or
  • Native American tribe or nation located within New York State.

What costs are eligible?

All costs must be reasonable and necessary for the operation of the HHW program.

  1. Operating costs - Typical eligible operating expenses are:
    1. Contractor costs to accept, segregate, package and/or transport HHW.
    2. Costs of safety equipment and packaging supplies, such as protective clothing, respirator cartridges, drums, labels, and ground covers.
    3. Costs of recycling, treating, or disposing of the collected waste.
    4. Costs of door-to-door pickup programs or charge-back programs between municipalities IF the costs are reasonable and customary AND there is no other cost-effective method of HHW collection.
  2. Educational costs - Educational outreach activities must focus on educating the public about reducing the volume of HHW generated in the home, or must provide promotion for a HHW collection program. Costs of "mixed-use" brochures/advertisement will be prorated AND must be a minimum of 50 percent dedicated to HHW information. Typical eligible educational expenses are:
    1. Costs of preparing and printing posters, brochures, flyers, and other materials that focus on HHW collection programs.
    2. Costs of purchasing advertising space in newspapers or other periodicals, or of providing public service announcements to local radio stations or other media.

Are there any other requirements for funding?

  1. Permanent HHW Facilities must have a valid NYSDEC permit to operate.
  2. Collection day programs must have received the NYSDEC's written approval prior to conducting the collection day.
  3. Educational costs will be eligible for reimbursement only if the municipality offers a collection program for HHW.

What costs are NOT eligible?

Items that will NOT be reimbursed under this program include, but are not limited to:

  1. Costs that are reimbursed to the municipality or paid by outside sources, such as State and Federal Governments.
  2. In-kind services, employee salaries, general supplies and overhead.
  3. Costs incurred before April 1 of the year in which the application is submitted.
  4. Costs of issuing bonds, obtaining financing, obtaining permits, applying for State assistance, interest, bid document production or bid document distribution.
  5. Cost of recycling waste materials if the recycled product is returned to the municipality, such as through a "buy-back" system.
  6. Costs of operating a household battery collection or electronics collection program, unless collected as part of an approved HHW collection program.
  7. Costs of any HHW collection program that does not comply with an approved collection day plan or facility permit, and all applicable rules and regulations.
  8. Cost of handling/disposing hazardous waste not generated by households, such as hazardous waste generated by municipalities, municipal departments, State agencies, schools, farms or Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQGs).

Which types of wastes are acceptable?

Only the costs of collecting and managing categories of wastes that meet the definition of HHW will be reimbursed under this program. The following waste categories are eligible for reimbursement:

  • Pesticides
  • Corrosives
  • Pool chemicals
  • Polishes and waxes
  • Adhesives
  • Solvents
  • Household cleaning products
  • Home chemistry sets
  • Photography chemicals
  • Batteries (both household and automotive)
  • Products containing mercury

In addition, the reasonable costs of managing solid wastes generated at the HHW collection, such as empty paint cans and cardboard boxes, are eligible.

Which types of wastes are NOT acceptable?

The following wastes are NOT considered to be HHW, and are not eligible for funding:

  • Asbestos
  • Tires
  • Smoke detectors
  • Radioactive waste
  • Medications and infectious waste
  • Ammunition
  • Explosives
  • Construction and demolition debris
  • Unsorted solid waste
  • Nonhazardous recyclable materials

Please also note that any waste materials collected and handled as CESQG waste or farm waste or "c7" scrap metal would also NOT qualify for HHW funding, even if their collection may be allowed at a HHW collection day or facility. For more information on the "c7" approach, see DEC's Information on Used Electronics webpage.

Are the costs of collecting electronics eligible?

No. As of April 1, 2011, the date that electronic waste acceptance programs had to be implemented, Household Hazardous Waste State Assistance Program Funding was eliminated for municipal collection of covered electronic equipment. Municipalities participating in an electronic waste acceptance program might be able to receive some form of financial assistance through their agreements with such programs.

What if my program collects waste from other than households?

The HHW State assistance program will only reimburse the costs of collecting waste from households. Municipalities may collect hazardous waste from other than households (i.e., farmers, municipal departments, CESQGs) at a HHW collection program. However, costs incurred from the collection or management of wastes that are not from households are not eligible for reimbursement. Municipal HHW collection programs that also collect non-household waste must meet the following conditions in order to remain eligible for this State assistance program:

  1. All participants that are not households must be conditionally exempt small quantity generators (CESQGs).
  2. The sponsor municipality must register participating farmers and businesses to determine their generator status. This information must be provided to the NYSDEC upon request.
  3. The sponsor municipality must determine the portion of costs from collection of waste from households, exclusive of costs resulting from collection of waste from CESQGs/farms waste. The separation scheme should be described in the State assistance application program description.

Can I file more than one application?

For HHW collection day activities, a municipality may submit only one application for all HHW State Assistance per State fiscal year (April 1 - March 31) for either the current or the previous State fiscal year. All program costs expected to be paid during that year should be included in the application.

For construction of permitted HHW collection and storage facilities, a municipality may submit only one application for funding for the total construction cost of the facility regardless of whether construction costs are expected to be paid in more than one fiscal year.

What if I am building a permitted HHW Collection & Storage Facility?

If you have any construction costs which you wish to include in your application, call 518-402-8678 for further instructions.

Who can I contact for additional help?

If you have a question about conducting a HHW collection event, call your local DEC Regional Office.

If you have a question about financial assistance for HHW collection, call 518-402-8678 or send an e-mail to planning@dec.ny.gov

  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8678.
  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Materials Management
    Bureau of Permitting and Planning
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-7253
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions