An integral part of the Division's hazardous waste program is the protection of groundwater resources. Division geological staff:
- Review geologic and hydrogeologic engineering reports prepared by geotechnical consulting firms for hazardous waste facility owners.
- Develop special draft permit conditions specifying the number and location of groundwater monitoring wells, the design of monitoring wells, specific hydrologic zones to be monitored, and mandate sampling frequency and parameters, all unique to the specific facility.
- Conduct annual field inspections of permitted facilities to ensure groundwater monitoring compliance, including groundwater sampling.
- Prepare formal complaints and consent orders for enforcement actions to be taken to correct groundwater monitoring violations identified from inspections.
- Review corrective measure actions for the investigation, determination, selection and design of the appropriate remedial alternative.
- Evaluate hydrogeologic monitoring data relating to the environmental performance of the remedial system to ensure it is providing adequate protection to human health and the environment.