Proposed State Plan for Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units
Download the complete State Plan (PDF) (1.67 MB, 270 pgs)
The Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 (CAAA) mandates that States submit to EPA a State Plan in accordance with the requirements of Section 111(d) and 129 of the Clean Air Act, for implementation and enforcement of 40 CFR 60, Subpart MMMM- Emission Guidelines and Compliance Times for Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units ("Guidelines") promulgated by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on March 21, 2011. In anticipation of this requirement and as part of this proposed State Plan, the Department promulgated 6 NYCRR Part 219-9 'Emission Guidelines and Compliance Times for Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units' on May 12, 2012; which incorporated by reference, EPA's Guidelines. This State Plan addresses the nine (9) required elements specified in Subpart MMMM 60.5015, as follows:
- An inventory of affected sewage sludge incineration (SSI) units in the State (Section A, Table A-1), including SSI units that have ceased operation but have not been dismantled (Section A, Table A-2);
- An inventory of emissions from affected SSI units in the State (Section B);
- Compliance schedules for affected SSI units (Section A and Section E-see Subpart 219-9);
- Emission limitations, emission standards, operator training and qualification requirements, and operating limits for affected SSI units which are at least as protective as those in the Guidelines (Section E);
- Performance testing, monitoring, recordkeeping, and reporting requirements (Section E);
- Certification that the hearings on the State Plan were held, a list of witnesses and their organizational affiliations, and a brief written summary of each presentation or written submission (Section C).
- Provision for State progress reports to EPA on the implementation of the State Plan (Section D).
- Identification of enforceable State mechanisms for implementing the Emission Guidelines (Section E, 6 NYCRR Parts 200, 201 and Subpart 219-9),
- A demonstration of the States' legal authority to carry out the Sections 111(d) and 129 State Plan (Section F, Legal Authority),
Discussion and supporting documentation is provided, where necessary.