Emission Reduction Credits (ERCs)
Emission Reduction Credits (ERCs) are generated when a facility shuts down or voluntarily reduces its permitted emissions by accepting a federally-enforceable emission limit or operating condition. The ERCs can be used to offset emission increases from facilities constructing or modifying air emission sources subject to New Source Review. These provisions are described under 6NYCRR Subpart 231-10 (link leaves DEC's website).
The ERC Registry
ERCs are made available in a registry (PDF, 501 KB, 35 pgs) maintained by the Division of Air's Bureau of Stationary Sources pursuant to the New York State Clean Air Compliance Act and 6NYCRR Part 231 (link leaves DEC's website). If you require a historical ERC document or the Use of ERCs Registry, please contact this office.
The ERCs Forms
- Part 231 ERC Quantification Forms
- Use of ERCs Form (PDF, 19 KB) required for use of ERCs
To use the forms:
- Open the forms by clicking on them.
- Print the form.
- Fill in the required information.
- Mail the appropriate completed form along with any required supporting documentation to the appropriate Regional DEC office for creating or using ERCs.
Total Available ERCs by Nonattainment Area
More about Emission Reduction Credits (ERCs):
- ERCs Registry - New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Emission Reduction Credits (ERCs) Registry