Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Waste Transporters

The New York State Environmental Conservation Law requires that anyone engaged in the transportation of regulated waste generated or disposed of within New York State must possess a valid New York State Part 364 Waste Transporter Permit. Specific requirements for persons transporting regulated waste are included in 6 NYCRR Part 364 (link leaves DEC website.) All transporters are required to submit proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance (PDF) (18 KB).

Regulated waste includes: hazardous and nonhazardous commercial/industrial waste, grease trap waste, waste oil, petroleum-contaminated soil, regulated medical waste, waste tires, asbestos, residential septage, nonresidential raw sewage or sewage-contaminated wastes, sludge from a sewage treatment plant or water supply treatment plant, or low-level radioactive waste (LLRW), oil and gas well drill cuttings, and oil and gas well completion or production wastes.

For LLRW, highway transport through New York State requires a permit, regardless of whether or not you stop to pick up or dispose.

Materials suspected of being contaminated with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) must be transported by a permitted regulated medical waste (RMW) transporter that is authorized by the Department to transport EVD contaminated waste.

In order for a permitted RMW transporter to obtain authorization from the Department to transport EVD contaminated waste, the transporter must provide evidence that they have USDOT Party Status to DOT-SP 16279 for packaging and transporting EVD waste and must complete and submit to NYSDEC, a Certification for Transport of EVD Waste form (PDF) (28 KB). Additional information on transporting EVD waste can be found on the NYS Ebola Waste Disposal Fact Sheet.

Forms for Waste Transporters

General Conditions for Waste Transporters

Below are the General Conditions that are part of each Part 364 permit or registration

Frequently Asked Questions

If you will be working in the New York City area, we recommend you contact the New York City Business Integrity Commission (BIC), at (212) 437-0555, or via their website (which can be found in the right hand column) as they may have additional requirements to operate in New York City.

If you have additional questions regarding the DEC's Waste Transporter Permit Program, staff in our Waste Transporter Program will be happy to assist you. They can be reached by phone at (518) 402-8792, or by email, at

Information About Completing Your Part 364 Permit Application

New Easy to Read Forms - Previous permit application forms have been revised. There are now only seven easy-to-read pages that must be completed when submitting a new permit application, a permit renewal or modification. The new application is available online in a fillable format. The application may be completed online, downloaded, saved and retrieved by you for updates. However, the new completed application must still be mailed to the Department.

Insurance Requirements - A summary of General Liability, Auto Liability, and Pollution Liability Insurance coverage is required to be submitted by Hazardous Waste, Low Level Radioactive Waste and Waste Oil transporters. Regulated Medical Waste transporters are required to provide a summary of General Liability and Auto Liability. Proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance must be submitted with all new and renewed waste transporter permits.

Change in Disposal Facility Requirements - You are no longer required to submit forms signed by disposal facilities verifying that they can accept your waste for disposal. It is each transporter's responsibility to ensure that the disposal facility is able to take the waste by first checking with the facility, and then enter the facility's permit or registration number in the appropriate section on your permit application.

It is each waste transporter's responsibility to ensure that their permit is renewed prior to its expiration date. Renewal applications are mailed to the transporter in advance of their permit expiration date, and must be received at least one month in advance of the permit expiration date to ensure that it will be processed prior to the permit expiration date.