Because of their physical characteristics or chemical makeup, special wastes generally require special handling procedures and disposal methods in order to be protective of human health and the environment.
From this page you will find information regarding the proper handling, disposal and treatment of various special wastes DEC is involved with.
More about Special Wastes:
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) - Proper Management of Household Hazardous Waste.
- Asbestos - General information from federal, state and local agencies involved in regulating asbestos containing material, including abatement, removal and transportation.
- Creosote - General information on creosote and products treated with or containing creosote, including Frequently Asked Questions and a brief description of Article 27 Title 25 of the New York State Law.
- Lumber Pressure Treated With Chromated Copper Arsenate - Information on lumber that has been pressure treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA).
- Regulated Medical Waste - Information on Regulated Medical Waste in New York State.
- Waste Tires - Background information on waste tire stockpiles, including legislation and tire fire information.
- Fluorescent and HID Lamps - Fluorescent lamps as hazardous waste and universal waste
- Used Oil - Information on used oil regulation in New York State.
- Used Electronic Equipment - Due to rapid changes in technology, electronic equipment quickly becomes out of date. NYSDEC provides guidance and regulatory information on the reuse, recycling, and disposal of used electronic equipment.
- Proposed Used Electronic Equipment Rulemaking - This page contains updated information on the proposed used electronic equipment rulemaking.