DMR Manual for Submitting and Completing the Discharge Monitoring Report
The DMR Manual is currently being revised to include changes and additions to the program since the last major revision in 2002. Included will be information pertaining to electronic submittal of DMRs using NetDMR.
The DMR Manual was developed to provide information and guidance regarding the completion and submittal of the Discharge Monitoring Report (DMR) form (see the files listed in the right column of this page) required by the New York State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES). It is intended to complement, but not supersede, either the SPDES Permit or applicable SPDES Regulations (Parts 750-1 and 750-2) which are the legal documents to which the permittee will be held responsible. If there is a conflict between this guidance and either the SPDES permit or the applicable regulations, the permit or regulations will supersede the guidance.
In 2014 the Department began the transition from the submittal of paper only DMRs to an electronic DMR system known as NetDMR. NetDMR is a web-based tool that allows SPDES permittees to electronically sign and submit DMRs directly to EPA and DEC. NetDMR is designed to reduce the burden on EPA, DEC, and the regulated community; improve data quality; provide significant cost savings; and expand the ability of both DEC and EPA in targeting their limited resources to meet environmental goals.
This transition from paper to electronic DMRs in New York will be a phased approach. Depending on location and available equipment, the permittee's abiltiy to efficiently access NetDMR may vary. In the interim, under certain circumstances paper DMR submittal will be acceptable.
In order to access NetDMR to sign and submit DMRs electronically, permittees must complete three preliminary steps:
- Create an account in the NetDMR Test environment and submit a DMR in the test environment. This demonstrates the permittee's ability to successfully sign and submit a DMR electronically.
- Create an account in the live NetDMR environment.
- Request the Signatory role in the live environment, and submit a signed Subscriber Agreement to DEC. DEC keeps track of all authorized signatories.
To get started using NetDMR to electronically submit DMRs to DEC and EPA, continue to the NetDMR Introduction web page to learn more.
Part 750 Regulations (links leave DEC website):
More about DMR Manual for Submitting and Completing the Discharge Monitoring Report:
- NetDMR Introduction - Introduction to EPA's electronic DMR reporting system, NetDMR.
- NetDMR Account Creation - Guidance on how to create an account in NetDMR.
- NetDMR Understanding User Roles - Information on explaining the different roles in NetDMR.
- NetDMR Requesting Roles - Guidance on how to request a role type in NetDMR.
- NetDMR Requesting Signatory Role - Guidance on how to request the permit signatory role in NetDMR.
- NetDMR Editing the DMR - Guidance on entering data into the DMR using NetDMR.
- NetDMR Signing and Submitting the DMR - Guidance on signing and submitting the DMR electronically using NetDMR.
- NetDMR Accessing and Retaining Data -
- NetDMR Import Steps - Guidance on how to use NetDMR's data import feature.
- NetDMR Training Information - Training information for permittees using NetDMR to electronically submit DMRs using NetDMR.
- DMR Reporting - Frequently Asked Questions - Discharge Monitoring Report, DMR, Frequently Asked Questions, FAQs.