Agriculture and Farming
Agriculture is one of the most important industries in New York State, contributing tremendously to the State's economy. The primary agricultural commodities in New York State include: livestock; field crops; vegetables; fruit and; floriculture and trees. The following information is intended to assist the agricultural community in complying with any necessary environmental requirements.
The dairy industry is a substantial contributor to
New York State's agricultural success.
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations
- Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) - permit requirements and compliance information for CAFO owners or operators.
Composting and Land Application
- Composting of Organic Waste - facilities involved in the composting of sewage sludge, manure, food, yard, and other solid wastes may be subject to regulation under 6 NYCRR Subpart 360-5.
- Land Application of Organic Waste - regulatory information pertaining to facilities permitted to land apply organic waste materials.
- Beneficial Use Determinations (BUDs) - allows the reuse of industrial and commercial byproducts in many applications, including in agriculture.
- Water Withdrawal Reporting - registration requirements for agricultural withdrawals.
- Stormwater Permit for Construction Activity - some exceptions to the requirements exist for agricultural projects.
- Pesticide Statutes, Regulations, and Policies - compliance assistance for the distribution, sale, use and transportation of pesticides.
- Pesticide Certification and Business Registration - applicator certification and certification renewal; applicator examinations; training courses; and registration information.
- Pesticide Applicator/Technician Information - certification requirements.
- Aquatic Pesticide Permit Program - provides oversight for the control of aquatic pests.
- Currently Registered Pesticides - up-to-date list of registered pesticides in New York State.
Chemical and Petroleum Storage
- Chemical and Petroleum Storage - requirements for the bulk storage of chemicals and petroleum, and exemptions for farms.
- Open Burning - information pertaining to the burning of agricultural waste.
- Private Forest Management - information for farms that have forest resources.
- Mined Land Reclamation Program Applicant's Guide - certain exempt activities of the Mined Land Reclamation Law include excavation or grading operations which are conducted solely in aid of on-site construction or farming.