CSLAP Training Materials and Forms
The following series of training videos are intended to help CSLAP volunteers properly collect, document, process, and ship lake samples collected as part of the CSLAP program. Videos are listed in recommended viewing order. All video links go to DEC's YouTube Videos. After watching the videos, test your knowledge by taking the CSLAP Quiz!
- Sampling Record, Section 1--Learn how to prepare for your CSLAP sampling trip, determine your sampling location, and complete the first section of the CSLAP Sampling Record.
- Field Observations Form--Instructions on how to complete the CSLAP Field Observations Form. This form should be completed before collecting any water quality measurements or samples.
- Secchi Disk Sampling and Sampling Record, Section 2--Demonstration of how to measure water clarity using a Secchi disk, and how to complete the second section of the CSLAP Sampling Record.
- Water Sample Collection and Sampling Record, Section 3--Demonstration of how to collect surface and deep water samples using a Kemmerer bottle, transfer samples into a collapsible container, and complete the third section of the CSLAP Sampling Record.
- Open Water Algae Observations Form--Instructions on how to complete the CSLAP Open Water Algae Observations Form at the regular CSLAP sampling sites.
- Finishing the Sampling Record, Section 4--Instructions on how to record weather conditions and lake comments, and complete the fourth section of the CSLAP Sampling Record Form.
- Shoreline Blue-green harmful algae bloom (HAB) Sampling--Learn how to collect a shoreline algae bloom sample and document bloom conditions along the shoreline of the lake.
- Unfiltered Sample Processing--Instructions on to how to transfer water samples from the collapsible container into laboratory bottles for CSLAP parameters that do not require field (filtering) processing.
- Filtered Sample Processing--Instructions on how to transfer water samples from the collapsible container into laboratory bottles for CSLAP parameters that require filtration and other field processing.
- Shipping Samples--Demonstration of how to preserve and ship samples to the laboratories used for CSLAP for analysis.
Sampling guidance and other training materials
- Sampling Protocol (PDF) (3.60 MB)-detailed descriptions of sampling procedures
- Lake Parameter Fact Sheets (PDF) (105 KB)--detailed information about the lake parameters that are collected on CSLAP lakes. The parameters help to evaluate nutrient enrichment and excessive weed and algae growth.
- CSLAP Protocol Quiz (PDF) (1.13 MB)-test your knowledge! Take the quiz to learn more about the sampling protocols and identify areas that need to be reviewed. Please submit your answers and comments to DEC linked in the quiz. This information will help to improve the quiz and training resources for volunteers.
Forms for Participating CSLAP Lakes
These forms are to be used by actively participating CSLAP members conducting scheduled lake assessments assigned by DEC and NYSFOLA. Please see NYSFOLA web page to learn more about how to become a CSLAP volunteer.
CSLAP volunteers observe how to
properly collect secchi disk
- Sampling Record Form (field data) (PDF) (306 KB)
- Sampling Observations Form (PDF) (20.7 KB)
- Volunteer Waiver Form (PDF) (14.4 KB)
- Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) Assessment Form - Regular Sample (PDF) (136 KB)
- Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) Assessment Form - Bloom Sample (PDF) (481 KB)
- Special Studies
- Aquatic Plant Survey Form (PDF) (13.3 KB)
- Rake Toss Sampling Instructions Form (PDF) (13.2 KB)
- Lake Level Record Form (PDF) (74.9 KB)
- Shoreline Assessments (PDF) (18.1 KB)
- Anglers Survey (PDF) (91 KB)
- Boater Survey (PDF) (41.6 KB)
- Zebra Mussel Survey (PDF) (23.2 KB)
Want to become a CSLAP Member?
Please see NYSFOLA webpage to learn more about how your lake association can become involved in CSLAP. Please see "Links Leaving DEC's website".