Columns by DEC Staff Appearing in ClearWaters
"Water Views" by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water
Below are published columns entitled "Water Views" from NYS DEC, Division of Water (DOW). The DOW regularly provides a column in the magazine, Clear Waters, the quarterly publication of the New York Water Environment Associates (NYWEA).
Articles are arranged by date of publication, the most recent year is first.
- Summer Issue: "Federal Money To Implement Clean Water Act" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
Clean water is essential, achievable, and is mandated by the Federal Clean Water Act (CWA). The federal funding for programs that support the CWA has been significantly reduced. However, given these tight fiscal times, the federal funding is critical.
- Spring Issue: "Sustaining Progress Toward Great Lakes Restoration" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
Continued bipartisan support for federally funding the "Great Lakes Regional Collaboration Strategy" is needed to restore the Great Lakes and St Lawrence River, to reduce invasive species, and invest in our communities and environment.
- Winter Issue: "Nation Building at Home" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
Awareness of failing infrastructure, current funding, and the need to continue to provide public funding for these projects.
- Fall Issue: "Can You Adapt?" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
Issues and options for adaptation to climate change are discussed.
- Summer Issue: "Enforcement is Critical" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
The federal and state water laws combine powerful enforcement provisions.
- Spring Issue: "Reducing Phosphorous Makes Sense" (by James Tierney, Assistant Commissioner for Water Resources)
Support of the new law that reduces the concentrations of phosphorous in fertilizers and automatic dishwasher detergents.
The DOW column is reprinted here courtesy of Clearwaters. For subscription information, contact NYWEA directly.
More about Columns by DEC Staff Appearing in ClearWaters:
- Federal Money To Implement Clean Water Act - A discussion of the need for additional federal money to enforce the Clean Water Act. We need to make our water clean and keep it clean.
- Sustaining Progress toward Great Lakes Restoration - Discussion about the sustainability of efforts to restore the Great Lakes without federal funding. Many organizations are participating.
- Nation Building at Home - A discussion of the continued need for public funding for infrastructures.
- Can You Adapt? - A discussion of climate change, results and various options.
- Enforcement is Critical - A discussion about compliance and the need for enforcement to achieve fairness.
- Reducing Phosphorous Makes Sense - Discussion about the new regulation on fertilizers and automatic dishwashing soaps to reduce the concentrations of phosphorous.
- Archive Columns from ClearWaters "Water Views" - An archive of columns written by the department staff which were printed in ClearWaters. They are arranged by year of publication.