FMC Middleport - Public Involvement
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and New York State Department of Health (DOH), as part of the remedial investigation and remedy selection process for Air Deposition Area #1 and Culvert 105, undertook a number of Citizen Participation activities in an effort to inform and educate the public about conditions at the site and the potential remedial alternatives. The following public participation activities were conducted by the Agencies for the site:
- A repository for documents pertaining to the site was established;
- Site mailing lists were established which included nearby property owners, local political officials, local media, local environmental groups, and property owners in the Roy-Hart school district;
- A public meeting was held on June 10, 2009 which included a presentation of the Remedial Facility Investigation and distribution of fact sheets; An associated public comment period was held from May 18, 2009 thru July 2, 2009. A responsiveness summary was issued in September 2009.
- A public meeting was held on June 14, 2011 which included a presentation of the Corrective Measures Study and distribution of fact sheets; An associated public comment period was held from May 17, 2011 to July 1, 2011; A responsiveness summary was issued in June 2012.
- A public meeting was held on June 27, 2012 which included a presentation and discussion of the proposed remedy (Draft Statement of Basis) and distribution of fact sheets; An associated public comment period was held from June 15, 2012-August 13, 2012;
- Two availability sessions were held on June 28, 2012 and July 26, 2012 in Middleport to discuss the remedy;
- The Final Statement of Basis was issued in May 2013; and
- The Responsiveness Summary, as part of the Final Statement of Basis, addressing public comments was also issued in May 2013.
Site related documents, including the May 2013 Final Statement of Basis, May 2013 Responsiveness Summary, facility maps and DOH fact sheets, are available electronically by clicking on the links in the right column of this page. Other site-related documents are also available by visiting the Middleport Community Involvement Group's web site (see link under "Leaving DEC's Website" in the right column of this page).
Hard copies of the May 2013 Final Statement of Basis, as well as other site-related documents, available for public review at the FMC Document Repository located at:
Middleport Village Library
9 Vernon Street
Middleport, New York
For More Information
We encourage you to share this fact sheet with neighbors and tenants, and/or post this fact sheet in a prominent area of your building for others to see.
Have site information such as this fact sheet sent right to your email inbox. DEC invites you to sign up with one or more contaminated sites county email listservs available. It's quick, it's free, and it will help keep you better informed.