Update on Ongoing Construction Activities Associated With the Sediment Consolidation Area (SCA), SCA Water Treatment Plant, and Shoreline Support Area
Onondaga Lake Bottom Site (#7-34-030) Onondaga County- April 2011
Ongoing Construction Activities at the SCA
Mobilization and initial construction activities such as fence repair, equipment deliveries, and site mobilization have taken place at the Sediment Consolidation Area (SCA) located on Wastebed 13 in the Town of Camillus. Construction activities that began during the week of September 6, 2010, and that are ongoing or have been completed include:
- Site Preparation and Clearing - Road upgrades, surveying and above-ground site clearing. The majority of this task has been completed.
- Water Treatment Plant Preloading - Placement of clean fill material on the footprint of the future water treatment plant area to achieve local soil compaction and expedite settlement prior to construction of the actual building and installation of equipment. This task has been completed.
- Water Treatment Plant Building Foundation Preparation - Construction in support of the foundation for the water treatment plant. This task is currently underway.
- SCA Construction and Instrumentation - Berm construction with clean fill materials, installation of geotechnical monitoring instrumentation, partial placement of the composite liner system (clean gravel drainage layer, clean low permeability soil, and geomembrane liner), limited excavation in the wastebed material for the sump area, and management of construction water. Work associated with this task is ongoing.
Additional Construction Activities Scheduled to Take Place in 2011
The following construction activities will begin later this year. Photos of construction progress will be posted on Honeywell's website.
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP) Building - Once the foundation for the water treatment building has been completed, the walls and roof of the building will be constructed and water treatment plant equipment will be delivered.
- SCA Basins - Two lined basins will be constructed on the east and west sides of the SCA for additional water storage capacity during the operation of the SCA.
- Material Processing Area - Pre-load material will be removed from this area and the area will be prepared to receive sediment processing equipment such as screens that will be used to separate material from the sediment slurry before the sediment slurry is pumped into the geotextile tubes within the SCA. Plumbing and electrical work will also take place.
- Debris Management Area - A two-acre lined area within the footprint of phase 2 of the SCA will be constructed. This area will contain any debris that is allowed to remain within the footprint of the SCA.
- Sediment Slurry Pipeline - The double-walled pipe and associated pump stations that will transport the sediment slurry will be constructed. The pipe will transport the sediment slurry (sediment dredged from the lake mixed with lake water) from the lake shore to the SCA.
- Shoreline Support Area - This area will be constructed near the Wastebed B site along the southwest lakeshore area and will include: office trailers, equipment storage, dredge service dock, service boat dock, and debris decontamination/temporary staging area.
Community Health and Safety Plans
During the later part of 2010, a draft version of the Onondaga Lake 2011-2012 Construction, Community Health and Safety Plan was available for public review and comment. No comments were received during the public comment period. On January 10, 2011, the Plan was approved and copies were placed in the locations of reports and information listed below, and Onondaga Lake 2011-12 Construction Community Health and Safety Plan (PDF) (1.15MB). A separate Health and Safety Plan for lake cleanup operations, which are scheduled to begin in 2012, will be developed and made available for public review prior to the start of dredging.
Air Quality Results Are Publicly Available
As discussed in the Onondaga Lake 2011-2012 Construction Community Health and Safety Plan, air monitoring results are publicly available on Honeywell's website. The air monitoring program, which is operated during construction, evaluates air quality at the work zone perimeter. As also discussed in the Plan, the air quality monitoring consists of particulate monitoring, volatile organic compound (VOC) monitoring, and odor monitoring.
Project Contact List
If you would like to begin receiving information electronically on the Onondaga Lake Bottom site, such as this fact sheet, please sign up for the Onondaga Lake News email list by visiting Join Onondaga Lake News E-Mail List. Once signed up, please also notify the NYSDEC to stop receiving printed copies in the mail. If you do not have access to email, you can receive printed copies in the mail by calling 315-426-7403.
Location of Reports and Information
The Onondaga Lake design-related documents and other information on the Onondaga Lake cleanup are available online. The Onondaga Lake cleanup documents are also available for review at the locations listed below.
Atlantic States Legal Foundation
658 West Onondaga Street
Syracuse, NY 13204
Phone: (315) 475-1170
Please call for an appointment.
Camillus Town Hall
4600 West Genesee Street
Syracuse, NY 13219
Phone: (315) 488-1234
Liverpool Public Library
310 Tulip Street
Liverpool, NY 13088
Phone: (315) 457-0310
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: (315) 470-6712
Albany, NY 12233-7013
Phone: (518) 402-9676
Please call for an appointment.
NYSDEC, Region 7
615 Erie Blvd. West
Syracuse, NY 13204-2400
Phone: (315) 426-7400
Please call for an appointment.
Onondaga County Public Library - Central Library at the Galleries
447 South Salina Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
Phone: (315) 435-1800
Solvay Public Library
615 Woods Road
Solvay, NY 13209
Phone: (315) 468-2441
Dear Interested Citizen:
This fact sheet provides you with information on the ongoing construction activities associated with the Sediment Consolidation Area (SCA), Water Treatment Plant, and Shoreline Support Area. This work is part of the cleanup for the Onondaga Lake Bottom Site, a sub site of the Onondaga Lake Superfund Site. If you have any questions, comments or would like more information about this project, please contact:
Mr. Timothy Larson P.E.
NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, 12th Floor
Albany, New York 12233-7013
With respect to citizen participation inquiries, please contact:
Ms. Diane Carlton or
Ms. Stephanie Harrington
Citizen Participation Specialists
NYSDEC, 615 Erie Boulevard West
Syracuse, New York 13204-2400
For project-related health questions, contact the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH):
Mr. Mark Sergott, Project Manager
NYSDOH, 547 River Street
Troy, New York 12180-2216
(800) 458-1158, Ext. 27860
Update on the Ongoing Construction Activities Associated With the Sediment Consolidation Area (SCA), SCA Water Treatment Plant, and Shoreline Support Area (includes photographs) (PDF) (4 pages, 458 kb)