Water Quality Concerns
DEC programs address a wide range of water quality concerns and issues. Links to information about the issues of the greatest public interest are outlined below. Use the website search feature to find information on other topics not listed here.
• Acid Rain
• Pharmaceuticals (Drugs) and Personal Care Products
• Legacy Pollutants (PCBs, Pesticides) - see also Fish Consumption under Public Health Concerns, below
• Nutrients (Phosphorus, Nitrogen)
- Harmful (Blue-Green) Algal Blooms (HABs)
- Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs)
- Numeric Nutrient Criteria
- Phosphorus TMDLs for Small Lakes
Pathogens - see also Public Bathing/Swimming and Shellfishing and Shellfish Consumption under Public Health Concerns, below
Habitat and Hydrology
Public Health Concerns
The NYSDEC has identified the top ten most prevalent causes/sources of water quality impact/impairment in the assessed waters of New York State.