Articles about Water by DEC Staff
The Division of Water has published many articles on a variety of topics, such as SPDES, CAFO, stormwater, infrastructure and watersheds. Over time, this page will grow, as we continue to add more articles. Many of these have been printed in the NYSDEC Conservationist magazine, professional journals, or Clear Waters, published by the New York Water Environment Association (NYWEA).
Green infrastructure is an approach to managing stormwater runoff while maintaining or restoring green features such as stream buffers, floodplains, rain gardens, porous pavements, and many more. Several examples can be found on our webpage Green Infrastructure Examples for Stormwater Management in the Hudson Valley.
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)
NYSDEC regulates discharges from Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) in order to protect water quality.
Dams & Flood Protection
The dam safety and flood control programs help to minimize the damages from flooding.
- Dam Safety in the Northeast: Response to Hurricane Irene & Tropical Storm Lee Flood Events || (PDF Version - 2969.03 kb)
- Challenges in the Catskills || (PDF Version - 245.75 kb)
State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES)
The SPDES program is a permit-based program that limits the levels of pollutants permittees are allowed to discharge to the waters of New York State. Enforcing the permitted discharge levels is vital to protecting water quality and controling invasive species.
- Keeping Posted on the Multi-Sector General Permit Program || (PDF Version - 443.42 kb)
- Ballast Water Discharges || (PDF Version - 368.18 kb)
- Aquatic Pesticides SPDES General Permit || (PDF Version - 168.40 kb)
- Design Standards for Intermediate-Sized Wastewater Treatment Systems || (PDF Version - 560.14 kb)
- Reducing Mercury in Wastewater & Stormwater Discharges || (PDF Version - 190.00 kb)
- TOGS 1.4.2: Tool for Compliance and Enforcement of SPDES Permits || (PDF Version - 61.49 kb)
- Elements of NYSDEC SPDES Order on Consent || (PDF Version - 106.06 kb)
- State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Compliance Assurance Program || (PDF Version - 154.08 kb)
- Enforcing Overdue Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs) || (PDF Version - 136.49 kb)
Stormwater / Floods
The stormwater program works with municipalities and permittees to reduce the impact of pollution conveyed by stormwater on the waters of New York.
Watersheds, Lakes, Rivers
These articles are on topics related to the management, monitoring and assessment of New York's 17 watersheds. For data and reports on specific watersheds, visit our Watersheds, Lakes and Rivers webpage.