Requirements for Electronic Waste Collection Sites
NYSDEC E-waste Online Registration and Reporting System. (Link leaves DEC's website.)
Detailed Instructions and Guidance for the E-waste Online Registration and Reporting System:
- Step One: Instructions for Creating a Re-TRAC Connect Account and Joining NYSDEC's Program (PDF) (1.63 MB)
- Step Two: Guidance for Completing and Submitting Registration Forms (PDF) (537 KB)
- Step Three: Guidance for Completing and Submitting Annual Report Forms (PDF) (542 KB)
- Re-TRAC Connect Training Webinar - 50 min. recording from 2/19/2016 (Link leaves DEC's website, and opens WebEx Network Recording Player)
NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act:
Electronic Waste Collection Sites are likely to be a first point of contact when consumers return their e-waste for recycling or reuse, and therefore play an important role in the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act. For a full description of requirements that apply to Electronic Waste Collection Sites, please review section 27-2613(1) of the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act (PDF) (38 KB) (Environmental Conservation Law, Article 27, Title 26).
Who Qualifies as an Electronic Waste Collection Site?
An "electronic waste collection site" is a fixed or temporary site at which electronic waste is accepted from consumers and temporarily stored for more than five days in a calendar year before such waste is transported to an electronic waste consolidation facility or electronic waste recycling facility. Electronic waste collection sites include, but are not limited to, dedicated sites and facilities for the acceptance of electronic waste, retail stores and outlets, municipal or private electronic waste collection sites and not-for-profit donation sites that have agreed to accept electronic waste.
Electronic Waste Collection Site Requirements:
- Submit a one-time registration. Owners/operators of electronic waste collection sites in the state must register with the department using the form below, at least thirty days prior to receiving any electronic waste. In the case of multiple collection sites operated by a retailer, a single registration listing the name, address, and telephone number of the individual collection sites may be submitted covering all its collection sites. Collection sites are not required to pay a registration fee.
- Submit an annual report. Owners/operators of electronic waste collection sites must submit to the department an annual report by March 1st annually, detailing the previous calendar year's activities. Beginning March 1, 2016, annual reports are required to be submitted via a new online reporting system.
- Store electronic waste properly. Electronic waste must be stored in a fully enclosed building with a roof, floor and walls, or in a secure container (e.g., package or vehicle), that is constructed and maintained to minimize breakage of electronic waste and to prevent releases of hazardous materials to the environment.
- Remove electronic waste in a timely manner. Electronic waste must be removed from the collection site within one year of the waste's receipt at the collection site. The site must maintain records demonstrating compliance with this requirement.
- Comply with disposal ban. Owners/operators of electronic waste collection sites in the state may not dispose of electronic waste at a solid waste management facility or hazardous waste management facility, or place electronic waste for collection which is intended for disposal at a solid waste management facility or hazardous waste management facility.
- Manage electronic waste in a manner that complies with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Electronic Waste Collection Site Data Liability:
Except to the extent otherwise required by law, no person operating an electronic waste collection site shall have any responsibility or liability for any data in any form stored on electronic waste surrendered for recycling or reuse, unless such person misuses or knowingly and intentionally, or with gross negligence, discloses the data.