Electronic Waste Recycling
NYS consumers are now required to recycle electronic waste, such as computers, computer peripherals, televisions, small scale servers, and small electronic equipment, etc., in an environmentally responsible manner.
The NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act (PDF) (39 kB), requires manufacturers to provide free and convenient recycling of electronic waste to most consumers in the state. Consumers eligible for free and convenient recycling include individuals, for-profit businesses, corporations with less than 50 full time employees, not-for-profit corporations with less than 75 full time employees, not-for-profit corporations designated under section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code, schools, or governmental entities located in NYS. For-profit businesses with 50 or more full time employees and not-for-profit corporations with 75 or more full time employees may be charged.
The Department has begun the rulemaking process for the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act to provide clarity, strengthen its existing provisions, and to improve overall program performance.
Preliminary E-waste Regulation Workshops were held for the Act's regulated entities to discuss the Department's proposed regulatory concepts and recommendations. The presentation material can be found below. Suggestions and comments on the material presented will be accepted via e-mail until November 30, 2016.
- 10/04/16 E-waste Rulemaking Workshop for Covered Electronic Equipment Manufacturers and Collectives (PDF, 1 MB)
- 10/13/16 E-waste Rulemaking Workshop for E-waste Consolidation & Recycling Facilities (PDF, 1 MB)
- 10/20/16 E-waste Rulemaking Workshop for E-waste Collection Sites & Municipalities (PDF, 1 MB)
Another opportunity to formally review and comment on the Department's proposed regulations will be available to all stakeholders and the public in the coming months.
How to Recycle Electronic Waste:
Learn how to easily recycle electronic waste, as well as which covered electronic equipment (CEE) can be recycled for free in NYS. More information about the Act and answers to consumers' most frequently asked questions (FAQs) are also available through this page.
Requirements and FAQs for the Law's Regulated Entities:
Manufacturers include those who assemble, manufacture, import, and/or own a brand name of CEE that is offered for sale in NYS.
Collective electronic waste acceptance programs, or collectives, represent one or more manufacturers, for the purpose of satisfying their electronic waste collection requirements. A list of collectives registered in NYS is also available through this page.
- Collection Sites
Electronic waste collection sites include fixed or temporary sites (both private and municipal) at which electronic waste is collected from consumers and temporarily stored.
- Consolidation Facilities
Electronic waste consolidation facilities organize, categorize and/or consolidate electronic waste before it is transported to a recycling facility.
- Recycling Facilities
Electronic waste recycling facilities separate, dismantle or process the materials, components or commodities contained in electronic waste, and prepare them for use or reuse in new products.
Retailers sell CEE to consumers in the state through any means, including, but not limited to retail stores, mail, catalogs, the telephone or the internet. A list of manufacturers whose brands may be sold in NYS is also available through this page.
- Solid/Hazardous Waste Facilities and Haulers/Transporters
Requirements for solid and hazardous waste facilities and for persons engaged in the collection of waste for delivery to such facilities.
More about Electronic Waste Recycling:
- Recycling Consumer Electronic Waste - E-waste recycling guidance for NYS consumers.
- Covered Electronic Equipment Manufacturer Requirements - Manufacturer requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Collective Electronic Waste Acceptance Program Requirements - Collective requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Electronic Waste Collection Site Requirements - Collection site requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Electronic Waste Consolidation Facility Requirements - Consolidation facility requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Electronic Waste Recycling Facility Requirements - Recycling facility requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Requirements for Retailers of Covered Electronic Equipment - Retailer requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Electronic Waste Requirements for Solid/Hazardous Waste Facilities and Haulers/Transporters - Waste facility and hauler requirements under the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act.
- Registered Electronic Waste Recycling Facilities - A list of registered electronic waste recycling facilities.
- Guidance for Municipal Electronic Waste Collection Sites - Guidance for municipal electronic waste collection sites.