Environmental Data Submission
Electronic Data Deliverable (EDD) Format Information for Electronic Data Providers
Please note: Some of the links below take you to the EarthSoft® website where the format files are stored. This is to assure access to the most current copy of these files.
This site provides guidance and links for reporting environmental data electronically to the DEC. The DEC has implemented an Environmental Information Management System (EIMS). The EIMS uses the database software application EQuISTM (EQuIS) from EarthSoft® Inc. (EarthSoft).
DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation (DER), and the Division Materials Management (DMM) (formerly Solid and Hazardous Materials) require certain types of data to be submitted electronically. DER and DMM have adopted a standardized electronic data deliverable (EDD) format that is required for all data submitted. Data must be formatted to meet the guidelines specified by DEC.
Data providers are responsible for submitting a complete data package. A lab or other subcontractor should provide their data to the primary consultant, who must ensure the supporting tables (such as sample location coordinates) are complete.
Follow the steps and links below to submit data in the EDD format:
Step 1: Initial Setup
Download the following files to prepare the data submission to produce a properly formatted EDD. User Manuals are available to provide detailed instructions on data preparation as well as identification of data fields that DEC requires for data submittals.
- The EDD Quickstart Guide (PDF) (266 KB) provides concise steps for preparing the EDD. The user guide (below) is more detailed and provides additional information.
- The Electronic Data Deliverable Manual (PDF) - April 2013 (3.6 MB). This document details the steps and procedures to prepare an EDD and contains table and field header definitions. Note that this manual will continue to be updated, please check back for newer versions.
- NYSDEC format files are templates in Microsoft Excel that are used to prepare the data submittal in the EDD format. Download the template appropriate to the type of data to be submitted.
- The Valid Value files are tables in Microsoft Excel that provide data for a number of the fields that make up the EDD format. If there is no appropriate value on the list of valid values you can request that it be added by sending an email to the DEC EIMS Administrator NYENVDATA@gw.dec.state.ny.us. Please include your name and your company contact information, the name of the valid value reference list, the new value needed and any other information that you deem helpful.
- Also available, The SVI Data Form, DEC offers a writable form (PDF) (983 KB) for collecting information and data for soil vapor intrusion investigations. The SVI form is also included as Appendix C of the EDD manual. Information and data entered on the form can be saved as a PDF document, exported and saved in .xml, or exported to a web service to be transcribed into an EDD and returned to you.
Step 2: Check your EDD
Data providers must download and install the EQuIS Data Processor (EDP) to check their properly NYSDEC DER EDD formatted file. EDP's software was created by EarthSoft and you will be redirected to their site to download the EDP and NYSDEC EDD format file. NYSDEC's EDP Quickstart guide (PDF) (8 page, 435 KB) is available to guide you through the installation of EDP.
EDP performs a series of formatting checks on the EDD and identifies a select group of errors in the data file prior to submission. After completing the EDP review, data providers will need to review the Final Checklist for Submission of EDDs (PDF) (1.3 MB) to DEC which documents various items that are not yet checked and detected automatically using EDP, but refer to critical fields required by NYSDEC to be populated in the EDD. Without completing these fields the EDD will not load into the database. Your compliance with this checklist will expedite a successful EDD submission to NYSDEC.
You will need to register the EDP software with EarthSoft (this is free), instructions on this are located in the EDP guide. You will typically receive an email within 2 business days from the DEC EIMS Administrator confirming the software registration and you will also receive a user login id and password to submit the checked EDD. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 2 days, please do not attempt to reregister, contact the DEC EIMS Administrator at NYENVDATA@gw.dec.state.ny.us.
The valid values used by EIMS are periodically updated for the EDP; therefore, it is important to use the most recent version of the EDP and NYSDEC format file. The DEC website in conjunction with the EarthSoft website will have the most up-to-date EDP and format file. Please periodically check this website to verify that you are using the most current version of the EDP and format file. For further information covering the EDP functions and program, please refer to EarthSoft's EDP user guide (PDF) (42 page, 704 KB).
Step 3: Submit your EDD
When the EDD has cleared the EDP checker, select the Sign and Submit option in the EDP software, and use the DEC user id and password to produce a properly named and formatted .ZIP file. If the submission package is less than 25 MB in size, e-mail the zipped file to NYENVDATA@gw.dec.state.ny.us or if the file is larger than 25 MB it should be submitted via CD-ROM to your DEC project manager.
Additional Guidance Information:
Additional guidance will be provided on this webpage as it becomes available. In addition, you can join the EarthSoft Community Center for announcements, training opportunities, and access to EQuIS forums and online documentation. Updates to the NYSDEC format will be posted on the community center and you can subscribe to receive email notifications when updates are posted for the NYSDEC format files and Valid Values files.