Clinton West Plaza
Clinton West Plaza is located at 609-625 West Clinton Street in the City of Ithaca in Tompkins County. Its Tax Map ID Number is 79-6-8.2. The 2.49-acre site is developed with an active 36,254 square foot shopping plaza that was constructed in 1970 and is currently owned by Clinton West, Ltd. The site is surrounded by residential neighborhoods and a retail property.
Clinton West Laundry, located at 609 West Clinton Street within the Clinton West Plaza, conducted on-site dry cleaning operations from at least 1970 through 2000. Tetrachloroethene (PCE) had been used in the dry cleaning operations as a cleaning solvent. Currently, Clinton West Laundry is operated as a "laundry only" facility with drop-off/pick-up of dry cleaning items.
The site remedial program is being performed by DEC through the State Superfund Program.
In February 2007, DEC first identified the site as a Potential (P) site. A "P" site is a temporary classification assigned to a site that had inadequate and/or insufficient data for inclusion in any of the other classifications in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in New York. As a result of identified hazardous waste disposal, the DEC listed the site as a Class 2 site in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in December 2007. A Class 2 site is a site where hazardous waste presents a significant threat to the public health or the environment and action is required.
The Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (RI/FS) Report was approved by DEC in October 2009. A final remedy was identified by DEC in a subsequent Record of Decision (ROD) dated May 2010.
Remedial activities were completed at the site in February and November 2011. Baseline and post-injection groundwater monitoring was performed from October 2011 through November 2012. No contaminated materials were removed from the site.
Remedial actions performed at the site included:
- the installation of a sub-slab vapor mitigation system (SSDS) within the Clinton West Laundry tenant space located at 609 West Clinton Street;
- performance and application of an in-situ chemical oxidation program through a grid network of injection wells to a depth of 25 feet below ground surface to target the primary contaminants of concern in groundwater;
- performance and application of an enhanced anaerobic bioremediation program by direct injection of a carbon source to further degrade remnant primary contaminants of concern in groundwater;
- preparation for execution and recording of an Environmental Easement to restrict land use and prevent future exposure to any contamination remaining at the site; and
- development and implementation of a Site Management Plan for long-term management of remaining contamination as required by the Environmental Easement.
For More Information
Where to Find Information
Project documents are available at the following locations
Tompkins County Public Library
101 East Green Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
Who to Contact
David J. Chiusano
Remedial Design and Remedial Construction Project Manager
New York State Department of Environmental
Division of Environmental Remediation
Remedial Bureau E
625 Broadway, 12th Floor
Albany, NY 12232-7017
Local Project Contact
Gary Priscott (Project Manager for Past Remedial Investigations and Feasibility Studies)
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Region 7 - Kirkwood Sub office
1679 NY Route 11
Kirkwood, New York 13795-1602
(607) 775-2545, Ext. 116
Electronic Distribution of Information
Information about this site and other sites in the State's remedial programs is now also available via email. If you would like to receive site information via email, you must sign up at the appropriate county contaminated site cleanup email Listserv. NYSDEC cannot register your email address - only the email address owner can do so. If paperless is not an option for you, call DER project manager David Chiusano at 518-402-9814 or write to him at NYSDEC, Division of Environmental Remediation, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-7012