Information and Application for Students
Application Form and Deadline
Complete Student Internship Application (PDF) (60 KB) must be received by February 18, 2013.
The internships are paid. A housing stipend is available for students who relocate for the summer. Internships start as early as mid May and run through mid August. The types of projects, setting, and locations vary each year, depending upon the businesses that apply and are awarded interns. Past projects, located throughout New York, have involved:
- field work
- light construction
- lab work
- public outreach
Interns have worked in rural and urban areas in the following settings:
A best fit between a student and the facility's project is determined based on
- interests and career goals
- communication skills
- past experience
- geographic proximity to the internship
The company, student, and DEC sign a contractual Work Agreement, which spells out the responsibilities of all parties.
Student Eligibility Requirements
- Students majoring in science or engineering are eligible
- Students must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- New York State residency is not required
- Attending a school in New York is not required.
Typically, juniors, seniors and graduate students are placed, although mature freshmen and sophomores have received internships.