Depew Village Landfill State Superfund Site
The Village of Depew operated a landfill between 1940 and 1961. During operations the landfill received approximately 10,000 tons per year of municipal solid waste and other wastes from unknown sources. An onsite incinerator processed much of the waste, and ash was disposed in the landfill. Hazardous waste contamination, including lead, appears to have been concentrated in the ash residue.
Environmental problems at the site were first uncovered in 2001, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACOE) began an Emergency Streambank Protection Project on a section of Zurbrick Road across from the Depew Village Landfill on the opposite side of Cayuga Creek. USACOE discovered that the sreambank contained fill materials with hazardous lead concentrations as high as 86,000 parts per million. Subsequent investigations indicated that the lead contamination extended to the north, beyond the tip of the peninsula into the landfill. NYSDEC listed the site as a Class 2 site in New York's Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites. A Class 2 site is a site where hazardous waste presents a significant threat to public health and/or the environment and requires action.
To facilitate cleanup of the site, DEC identified two operable units (OUs). Operable units are portions of a site that for technical reasons can be addressed separately. OU1 is the landfill, and OU2 is the streambank, Cayuga Creek sediments, and the slope under the affected section of Zurbrick Road.