Instructions for the Preparation of a LSWMP Compliance Report
6 NYCRR Section 360-15.12 requires that all planning units with a Department-approved LSWMP submit Compliance Reports to the Department no later than March 1 of every odd number year.
In an effort to assist planning units, the Department has prepared this outline identifying the information and documentation required in a LSWMP Compliance Report. Anyone completing a Compliance Report should follow the outline and append any additional sections necessary to provide a clear understanding of the local solid waste management programs and concerns.
- Cover: Include the following information:
- Title of the Original Approved LSWMP
- Planning Unit Name
- Reporting Period (This is a two year period, such as Jan. 1, 2007 to Dec. 31, 2008)
- Date of Compliance Report submission.
- Table of Contents: Include all topics and sub-topics listed below, as well as additional topics you wish to add for a clear understanding of the solid waste management program.
- Executive Summary: Include a 1-2 page summary of the contents of the Compliance Report.
- Compliance Report Body: Include text, descriptions, bullet lists, charts, etc as needed for ALL topics and sub-topics below:
4.1 Planning Unit Description
- List all current member Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages and Districts actively participating in the Planning Unit and the LSWMP.
- List any former member Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages and Districts that have ceased participating in the Planning Unit and the LSWMP.
- List Planning Unit demographic information, including population, number of households, size of geographic area, population density, etc.
4.2 LSWMP Status and Accomplishments
A brief narrative on the status of the LSWMP, including:
- SWMP milestones achieved during the reporting period.
- Waste reduction and recyclables (WRR) recovery program elements
- Procedures for implementing the current WRR program, including: separation, collection, transportation, storage, processing, marketing, operation and management.
- Elements of the current WRR public education and promotion program.
- Implementation obstacles and efforts taken to overcome them.
- Exceptional or unique SWM programs or projects accomplished.
- Differences between the current WRR program and that which was contained in the latest approved version of the LSWMP or comprehensive recycling analysis (CRA) along with the reasons for such differences.
- Progress made towards achieving LSWMP or CRA waste reduction, reuse and recovery goals - OR - an explanation of obstacles to making progress towards achieving LSWMP or CRA waste reduction, reuse and recovery goals.
- A description of the Planning Unit's funding level and staffing level for solid waste management, including WRR and composting.
- List of actual or proposed changes to funding mechanisms and management structure in the latest approved version of the LSWMP.
- Recommendations for State of federal actions to support local SWM efforts.
4.4 Implementation Schedule
- A brief narrative on the status of your implementation schedule, including:
- List of milestones remaining to be achieved;
- Revised implementation schedule, including milestones.
- Deviations from the implementation schedule, and reasons for the deviations.
- Brief evaluation of the WRR and/or composting potential of the materials in the waste stream not currently included in the recycling program including the following:
- Present and potential markets and specifications;
- Present and potential technical feasibility of WRR or composting; and
- Scheduled implementation date for a reduction, reuse, recycling or composting program for additional materials.
- New SWM issues that have arisen.
- If the LSWMP expires before or during 2010, a preliminary schedule for updating, extending or developing a new LSWMP. The schedule must provide for a new or revised LSWMP to be in place at the expiration of the current LSWMP.
4.5 Solid Waste and Recyclables Inventories
- A description of solid waste and recyclables data collection methods
- List of sources of solid waste and recyclables data.
- List of destinations outside Planning Unit for solid waste generated in Planning Unit.
- List of destinations outside Planning Unit for recyclables generated in Planning Unit
- Annual Planning Unit Recycling Report (PDF) (572 KB)
- Copies of the most recent source separation laws, ordinances, regulations, resolutions and rules within the Planning Unit, or a note that these laws are unchanged from the previously submitted Compliance Report.
Send Completed Compliance Reports by March 1, 2011 to the Regional Materials Management Engineer (RMME) in your Regional DEC office.
DEC Region 1, SUNY @ Stony Brook, 50 Circle Road, Stony Brook, NY 11790-3409
DEC Region 2, 47-40 21st. Street, Long Island City, NY 11101
DEC Region 3, 21 South Putt Corners Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561
DEC Region 4, 1150 N. Westcott Road, Schenectady, NY 12306
DEC Region 5, 1115 NYS Rt. 86, PO Box 296, Raybrook, NY 12977
DEC Region 6, 317 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601
DEC Region 7, 615 Erie Blvd. West, Syracuse, NY 13204
DEC Region 8, 6274 E. Avon-Lima Rd., Avon, NY 14414
DEC Region 9, 270 Michigan Ave., Buffalo, NY 14203
Please also send a copy of the Compliance Report to:
Bureau of Permitting and Planning
Division of Materials Management
625 Broadway 9th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-7253
firstname.lastname@example.org (electronic submittals encouraged)