Tools and Resources
DEC Tools for LSWMP Development
- Population and Municipal Solid Waste Composition Calculator (Excel, 450 KB) - Determine population changes over the course of the planning period of the LSWMP and estimate the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream composition for the local planning unit. Project changes to the waste stream over the course of the planning period based on projected goals for reduction of waste disposal.
- C&D Debris Waste Composition Calculator (Excel, 617 KB) - Project changes to the waste stream over the course of the planning period, based on projected goals for reduction of waste disposal.
EPA Resources (links leave DEC website)
- Managing and Transforming Waste Streams - Explore 100 policies and programs communities can implement to reduce the amount of waste disposed in landfills and promote waste prevention and materials reuse across waste generation sectors. Access cities' and counties' ordinances, contracts, franchise agreement language, and program websites. From US EPA.
- Decision Makers' Guide to Solid Waste Management - Improved ways to deal with the growing municipal solid waste problem.
- Food Waste Assessment Tools
- Large-Scale Residential Demolition Website - Good Practices and More
- Residential Demolition- Development tool, Report, and Factsheet
- Deconstruction Assessment Tool - Before you demolish... Should you deconstruct?
Other Resources (links leave DEC website)
- http://www.glassrecycles.org/ - The Gas Recycling Coalition brings together a diverse membership of companies and organizations to make glass recycling work.
- Payasyoutrow.org - Source of information to help cities and towns achieve their municipal waste reduction and recycling goals
- Environmental Finance Center at Syracuse University (EFC SU) - The Environmental Finance Center works to enhance community knowledge and support of environmental improvement projects.
- Northeast Recycling Council (NERC) - Promote sustainable materials management by supporting traditional and innovative solid waste best practices, focusing on waste prevention, toxics reduction, reuse, recycling and organics recovery.
- USA.com - Local guide to cities, towns, neighborhoods, states, counties, metro areas, zip codes, area codes, and schools in USA.
- Best Management Practices for Incorporating Food Residuals Into Existing Yard Waste Composting Operations
- United States Supreme Court Decision on Flow Control - United Haulers Association, Inc. v. Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority
Other DEC Resources
- Generic Technology Assessment Solid Waste Management - (1990) (PDF, 4.9 MB)
- TAGM SW-92-06 Avoided Costs in Solid Waste Effective 2001 (supersedes TAGM SW-92-4005)
- TAGM SW-98-12 Recyclables Recovery Programs and Percentage Recoveries