Tools and Resources
Additional Resources for Solid Waste Management Planning
Managing and Transforming Waste Streams - Explore 100 policies and programs communities can implement to reduce the amount of waste disposed in landfills and promote waste prevention and materials reuse across waste generation sectors. Access cities' and counties' ordinances, contracts, franchise agreement language, and program websites. From US EPA.
Population and MSW Composition Calculator - Determine population changes over the course of the planning period of the LSWMP and estimate the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream composition for the local planning unit. Project changes to the waste stream over the course of the planning period based on projected goals for reduction of waste disposal.
C&D Debris Waste Composition and Projection Calculator - Project changes to the waste stream over the course of the planning period, based on projected goals for reduction of waste disposal.
- NYS Empire Development - Secondary Market Information Portal - conduit to online resources for businesses that want to include recycling or recycled products in their operations
- Environmental Finance Center at Syracuse University (EFC SU) - The Environmental Finance Center works to enhance community knowledge and support of environmental improvement projects.
- Northeast Recycling Council (NERC) - Promote sustainable materials management by supporting traditional and innovative solid waste best practices, focusing on waste prevention, toxics reduction, reuse, recycling and organics recovery.
- USA.com. Local guide to cities, towns, neighborhoods, states, counties, metro areas, zip codes, area codes, and schools in USA.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA)
- Decision Makers' Guide to Solid Waste Management
- Toolkit for Pay as You Throw
- Characterization of Municipal Solid Waste in the United States Facts and Figures
- Food Waste Assessment Tools
- Best Management Practices for Incorporating Food Residuals Into Existing Yard Waste Composting Operations
- United States Supreme Court Decision on Flow Control - United Haulers Association, Inc. v. Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority
- Generic Technology Assessment Solid Waste Management - (1990)
- TAGM SW-92-06 Avoided Costs in Solid Waste Effective 2001 (supersedes TAGM SW-92-4005)
- TAGM SW-98-12 Recyclables Recovery Programs and Percentage Recoveries