Former Bouchard Junkyard
Work on this site started in June 2008 and is expected to be completed by November 2008.
The cleanup requires the removal of 60,800 tons of contaminated soil. The primary contaminant is polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). PCBs were used as coolants and insulating fluids for electrical transformers. The cleanup will replace contaminated soil and sediments along the eastern edge of the property with clean soil and then be seeded. To date, approximately 7,500 cubic yards of contaminated soil have been excavated and disposed off offsite. This project is approximately 20 percent completed.
All construction work is performed under full-time supervision by Dvirka and Bartilucci Consulting Engineers, the engineering consultant hired by NYSDEC. In addition, the contractor's Health and Safety Plan for the work was reviewed to ensure that on-site workers and the nearby community are protected during the cleanup activities. As part of the Community Air Monitoring Plan, dust levels are continuously monitored at locations surrounding the site. If dust levels reach action levels as stated in the Plan, corrective measures will be implemented to address the exceedances.
Former Bouchard Junkyard Site Information:
The Former Bouchard Junkyard site is the location of a former automobile junkyard operated from before 1959 through February 1969 by Mr. Henri Bouchard. Mr. Edward Weisberg purchased the property from the widow of Mr. Bouchard in February 1969 and continued its use as a junkyard. The junkyard was ordered closed in 1971 for operating without a license. All salvage was removed from the site in the late 1970s.
In July 1998, General Electric (GE) provided NYSDEC with an internal memorandum dated October 10, 1980 suggesting that drums of oil and pyranol (polychlorinated biphenyls or PCBs) had either been disposed or burned at the site. Since the removal of the junk cars, a theater group, automobile repair shop, and engineering company have been tenants in the three buildings on-site, however, prior to GE's notification, much of the property not occupied by buildings was utilized as farmland.
Historic aerial photographs indicate that the junk cars were paced in well-organized rows covering the majority of the site during the operation of the junkyard. The aerial photographs also suggest that the area at the east side of the site, behind the current Theater Barn building was filled some time before 1959. Apparent burn areas at the site can be observed in the aerial photographs. It has been reported that a metal fence was constructed in 1969 at the southern boundary of the junkyard on the north side of US Route 20. The automobile repair shop operated at the site is located in the building that formerly served as the junkyard building. The buildings for the theater group and engineering company were constructed in 1989 and 1990, respectively.
For More Information:
If you have any questions or concerns, you may call or write the following staff:
Site Cleanup Related Concerns:
Michael A. Mason, P.E., Project Manager, NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, 12th Floor, Albany, NY 12233-7017, (518) 402-9814
Site Health Related Concerns:
Charlotte Bethoney, NYSDOH, Flanigan Square, 547 River Street, Troy, NY 12180, (518) 402-7860
Document Repositories for the Former Bouchard Junkyard Site
Documents discussing the investigation and determination of a cleanup plan for this site are available for review at:
New Lebanon Library, Box 630, New Lebanon, NY 12125, (518) 794-8844
Hours: Mon., Tues., Wed., Fri. 10:00 - 6:00, Thurs. 10:00 - 8:00, Sat. 9:30 - 3:00
New Lebanon Town Hall, Box 328, New Lebanon, NY 12125, Appointment requested; contact Colleen Teal at (518) 794-8888
Hours: Mon., Wed., and Thurs. 9:00 - 3:00, Fri. 4:00 - 7:00