Stormwater MS4 Permit and Forms
Small municipal stormwater sewer systems (MS4s) that are located within the boundaries of a Census Bureau defined "urbanized area" are regulated under EPA's Phase II Stormwater Rule. This requires MS4s to develop a stormwater management program that will reduce the amount of pollutants carried by stormwater during storm events to waterbodies to the "maximum extent practicable". The goal of the program is to improve water quality and recreational use of waterways.
MS4 stormwater programs have six elements called minimum control measures (MCM) that when implemented together, are expected to result in a reduction of pollutants discharged into waterbodies.
Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) in Urbanized or Additionally Designated Areas must be authorized in accordance with a permit for stormwater discharges from MS4s. This page contains the General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems and the forms necessary to obtain coverage under that permit.
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems Permit, GP-0-10-002 (PDF) (2.6 mB). This permit was originally issued in April 2010, and became effective on May 1, 2010. This permit was modified in October 2011. Please note changes in pages 78-80, 83, and 106. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation requirements for regulated small MS4s are included in this document.
The following forms are needed to comply with the requirements of the General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems GP-0-10-002:
- Notice of Intent (PDF) (236 kB). Complete and submit this form to obtain coverage under the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems General Permit.
- MS4 SWPPP Acceptance Form (PDF) (17 kB) Certification dated January, 2010
This form is used by a regulated, traditional land use control Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) (e.g. town, city or village) to indicate acceptance of a SWPPP it has reviewed.
- MS4 Municipal Compliance Certification and Annual Report Form (PDF) (721 kB). These forms are fillable and saveable.
- Instructions for Completing the Municipal Compliance Certification Form (PDF) (42 kB) and MS4 Annual Report.
- Additional MCC Page 2 (PDF) (49 kB)
- Additional MCC Page 3 (PDF) (53 kB)
- Additional MCM 1 Page 4 of 4 (PDF) (38 kB)
- Additional MCM 2 Page 4 of 6 (PDF) (59 kB)
- Additional MCM 2 Page 6 of 6 (PDF) (38 kB)
- Additional MCM 3 Page 4 of 4 (PDF) (38 kB)
- Additional MCM 4 Page 2 of 3 (PDF) (54 kB)
- Additional MCM 4 Page 3 of 3 (PDF) (38 kB)
- Additional MCM 5 Page 3 of 3 (PDF) (38 kB)
- Additional MCM 6 Page 3 of 3 (PDF) (38 kB)
- 2011 MS4 Permit (GP-0-10-002) Responsiveness Summary and Fact Sheet (PDF) (60 kB) dated October, 2011.
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems Fact Sheet (PDF) (88 kB) dated May, 2010
This document describes how GP-0-10-002 differs from the preceding general permit, including modifications to the designation criteria for identifying regulated MS4s.
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems Designation Criteria (PDF) (211 kB) dated May, 2010
Information on identifying regulated small municipal separate storm sewer systems.
- 2010 MS4 Permit (GP-0-10-002) Responsiveness Summary (PDF) (481 kB) dated May, 2010
- 2008 MS4 Permit (GP-0-08-002) Responsiveness Summary (PDF) (244 kB) dated April, 2008