Public Review Documents
Maintenance Guidance for Stormwater Management Practices
The Department has developed Maintenance Guidance for Stormwater Management Practices (draft) (PDF, 4.8 MB). The purpose of this document is to provide guidance on how to inspect and maintain the stormwater management practices found in the New York State Stormwater Design Manual. Guidance is provided for all levels of skill including homeowners; low to moderately skilled municipal staff; highly trained municipal employees; and design professionals such as professional engineers, landscape architects or other professionals who can revisit design issues associated with chronic or serious maintenance problems.
Written comments on the draft standard must be submitted by close of business on October 7, 2016 to: Stormwater_info@dec.ny.gov; or the contact listed below.
* Note: If submitting comments by e-mail please indicate "Maintenance Guidance for SMPs" in the "Subject" line.
Ryan Waldron, P.E.
NYSDEC - Division of Water
625 Broadway, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-3505
Long Island MS4 Implementation Plan for Pathogen Impaired Waters
The Department has drafted the "Implementation Plan for Pathogen Impaired Waters in Part IX.C of the SPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s)" (PDF, 132 KB) to provide guidance to MS4 Operators located within pathogen impaired watersheds on Long Island where EPA-approved TMDLs require pathogen reductions from MS4 discharges to meet water quality standards. This draft guidance document presents information received from Long Island MS4 Operators on the extent and land use within their MS4 sewersheds that discharge to the 70 pathogen impaired waters listed in Part IX.C of the MS4 General Permit. The draft guidance also explains the methodology used to model the predicted individual MS4 pathogen load contribution(s); identifies the appropriate pollutant load reductions required of MS4s above the TMDL allowable pollutant load; and identifies further actions necessary to achieve the applicable pollutant load reductions through the MS4 General Permit renewal. As a companion to the draft LI MS4 Implementation Plan, the Department has also developed the Pathogen Reduction Credit Worksheet (XLSX, 106 KB), an Excel-based spreadsheet that will allow MS4 Operators to calculate reduction credits associated with existing stormwater management practices and future retrofits.
- Appendices A - K, without Appendix C (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Appendix A: Land Use Data for MS4 Sewersheds
- Appendix B: MS4 Pollutant Load Reductions (Table IX.C of MS4 General Permit)
- Appendix D: Waterbodies with No Known MS4 Discharges
- Appendix E: Waterbodies Below TMDL Allowable Load for MS4s
- Appendix F: Waterbodies Above TMDL Allowable Load for MS4s
- Appendix G: Proposed Retrofit Compliance Schedule
- Appendix H: Proposed Ambient Monitoring Schedule
- Appendix I: Proposed Source Identification Schedule
- Appendix J: TMDL Allowable Load that Formed the Basis of MS4 Permit Conditions
- Appendix K: Waterbodies Meeting Water Quality Standards
- Appendix C - MS4 Sewershed Maps
Written statements or comments on the Draft Implementation Plan or the supporting documents and tools will be accepted by fax or mail until close of business on June 27, 2016 or 30 days after publication of this notice. Comments should be submitted electronically to:
Steven McCague, NYS DEC - Division of Water, Bureau of Water Permits, 625 Broadway, 4th Floor, Albany, NY 12233-3505, Fax: (518) 402-9029, E-mail Stormwater.
Access to MSGP Permits
This website is intended to enable interested parties to view and print issued Multi-Sector General Permits (MSGP) (link leaves DEC's website). All permits are provided as PDFs.