Region 9 - Environmental Remediation Project Information
Calendar of All Scheduled Public Meetings and Comment Periods - for sites in DEC's cleanup programs in Region 9.
The DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation in Region 9 is responsible for investigating and cleaning up sites throughout Western New York that were contaminated from past industrial activities. These sites that were once economic engines for the region now contribute to environmental degradation, potential health problems, urban decay, decreased tax revenue, and population loss.
New York State's environmental cleanup programs are transforming these sites, paving the way for restored ecological habitat, waterfront development, clean energy, new jobs, recreational opportunities, and enhanced appreciation of the environment. DEC is committed to cleaning up, restoring, and protecting Western New York's environment so it may be enjoyed and utilized both today and tomorrow.
Site names on the list below are linked to project pages, and site numbers are linked to the public environmental remediation database. PDF documents available on the project pages may be abbreviated, but full project documents are always available at the site's document repository.
To receive electronic copies of Region 9 remedial program fact sheets as soon as they are issued, find the county you are interested in on the County Listserv page and sign up!
- Allegany Bitumens Asphalt Plant (Site Number C902019) - The Allegany Bitumens site is approximately 5 acres, located in a primarily agricultural area. The site was previously used as an asphalt plant by Allegany Bitumens, Inc. and A.L. Blades and Sons, Inc. from approximately 1960 until 2005. Since 2005, the site has been unoccupied. A laboratory is located in the northwest corner of the Site. The laboratory was used for testing of aggregate and asphalt materials. Trichloroethene (TCE) was reportedly used as a solvent in the testing operations, and previous investigations indicated the presence of TCE and related volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in an area northeast of the laboratory building. These VOCs were detected in shallow soil and groundwater at levels above New York State standards. Blades Holding Company, Inc. is addressing the site through the Brownfield Cleanup Program (BCP).
- Cuba Landfill (Site Number 902012) - The Cuba Landfill site is a former municipal solid waste landfill and a New York State Class 2 inactive hazardous waste site. A Class 2 site is one that poses a significant threat to human health and/or the environment and requires action. It operated as a municipal landfill from the 1950s until 1981. The landfill accepted household, commercial and industrial waste, including industrial waste from Acme Electric Corporation (AEC). AEC disposed of solvents, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) capacitors, plating sludge and paint sludge. Wastes were deposited in trenches 10-15 feet wide, 4-10 feet deep and hundreds of feet long. The remedy for the site involves consolidating wastes into a single cell and capping the landfill.
- 211 Franklin Street (Site Number C905038) - This BCP site is located in the City of Olean, Cattaraugus County. The site is bordered by a parking lot and an athletic field to the north and northwest, residential properties to the northeast and railroad corridors to the southwest and southeast. The nearest residential property is approximately 120 feet northeast of the site. Site Features: The site is approximately 5.7 acres in size. A single one and two-story industrial building, with partial basement, covers approximately 90% of the site. Current Zoning and Land Use: The site is currently zoned and used for industrial purposes in manufacturing epoxies and resins. Past Use of the Site: The site has historically been used for various manufacturing operations including manufacturing chemicals, glass bottles, metal furniture and metal wares. Painting, polishing, and plating operations historically occurred on the site.
- 251 Homer Street (Site Number C905037) - The project site is situated in an industrially zoned area of the City of Olean, Cattaraugus County, New York. The site currently consists of 16.68 acres of vacant land that was originally developed in 1890 for the oil industry and used for refinery purposes and as a petroleum storage tank farm. Historically, nearby adjoining properties were also developed and utilized in association with oil refining operations and petroleum storage. Petroleum refining operations ceased in 1954. Previous preliminary environmental investigations at the site revealed a number of environmental impacts. Samples of soil revealed concentrations of various organic compounds and metals that exceeded New York State standards.
AVM Gowanda (Site Number 905025) - DEC) is cleaning up this site located at One Industrial Place in Gowanda. The site is listed as a Class "2" site in the State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Sites. A Class 2 site represents a significant threat to public health or the environment - action is required. The site is located in an urban portion of Cattaraugus County. The main site features include two large buildings and two small storage sheds surrounded by paved parking areas. A small portion of the site area is wooded while the remaining area is open field. The site is currently used by the Village of Gowanda Department of Public Works and is zoned for industrial/commercial use. Until 1979, the site was used for metal machining and stamping. These historic operations along with improper waste disposal practices appear to have led to contamination of soil and groundwater at the site.
- Former Signore Facility (Site Number C905034) - The Former Signore Facility BCP site is located at 55 Jefferson Street, Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County.
- Olean Redevelopment (Site Numbers C905031, C905032, C905033) - Beginning in the late 19th century, various oil refineries used this site and adjacent properties for oil refining, storage and distribution operations until 1954. Agway, Inc. purchased the site in 1966 to manufacture fertilizer until 1983. In 2007, ExxonMobil purchased the site. ExxonMobil submitted applications for the BCP, and agreements were signed in 2009 for the three parcels comprising the site.
- Scott Rotary Seals (Site Number C905036) - The Scott Rotary Seals site is a 2-acre parcel of vacant land located in a historic heavy industrial area of the City of Olean. The site and surrounding area had been developed as a petroleum refinery with numerous above-ground storage tanks and heavy industrial operations. The site was once a portion of a larger petroleum refinery and petroleum bulk storage facility known as the Socony-Vacuum facility. Several debris piles containing brick, concrete, metal and piping are present on-site. Petroleum contamination is impacting site soils.
- AlTech Specialty Steel (Site Number 907022) - The former AlTech Specialty Steel Corp. (AlTech) is an approximately 90 acre industrial site located in the City of Dunkirk, Chautauqua County. Select demolition activities are slated to begin in late February at the former steel plant. The demolition work will be focused on a portion of the Brigham Road Plant where historical pickling operations occurred.
- Anderson Cleaners (Site Number C907027) - The Anderson Cleaners site is an active dry-cleaning business located at 5 Hunt Road, Jamestown, near the intersection of Harding Avenue. Cleanup activities are proposed at the site to address environmental contamination caused by the release of a dry-cleaning substance previously used at the site that has impacted the site's soil and groundwater with chlorinated volatile organic compounds (cVOCs).
- Carroll Town Landfill (Site Number 907017) - The Town of Carroll operated the site as a municipal solid waste landfill from the early 1960s to 1979. Records indicate that industrial wastes were disposed of in the landfill during the period of operation. In 1979, the landfill was permitted to continue operation only as a construction and demolition debris landfill and also began operation as a waste transfer station. The western landfill cell was closed in May 1980 and it is unclear when the eastern cell closed. The Town reported that the site closed as a waste transfer station in 1986. In 1992, as part of the remedial investigation of the Vac Air Alloys site in Frewsburg, it was alleged that industrial waste from Vac Air Alloys was disposed of at the landfill. As a result, DEC began a series of investigations of the Carroll Landfill.
- Dunkirk Former MGP (Site Number 907035) - The former Dunkirk MGP operated from the late 1800s to approximately 1910. While operating as an MGP facility, the plant heated coal to produce "manufactured" gas used mostly for lighting streets and buildings in Dunkirk. The site is presently used as a Service Center for National Fuel. In March, National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation (National Fuel) will begin an expanded environmental study at the former MGP.
- Edgewood Warehouse (Site Number E907032) - A cleanup plan has been developed to address contamination at the Edgewood Warehouse Site in Dunkirk. The site had been used for manufacturing locomotives and other industrial purposes. The site is currently being addressed under the Environmental Restoration Program, but the Roberts Road Redevelopment company has applied to clean up the site under the BCP. Once the cleanup plan is finalized, the Roberts Road Redevelopment company will implement the remedy.
- Essex-Hope (Site Number 907015) - The 4.7 acre Essex-Hope site was formerly the location of a manufacturing facility for industrial coatings and paint that operated from the late 1940's until the early 1990's. The property is currently owned by CPM, Inc. Upcoming cleanup actions are a follow-up response to the previous site investigations that were conducted at the Essex/Hope site in 2005 and 2006. These investigations determined that groundwater beneath the site was contaminated with VOCs, specifically TCE and vinyl chloride.
- Former C&B Dry Cleaners (Site Number E907028) - This 0.22 acre site is located at 2241 Washington Street in Jamestown. It was operated as a dry cleaner from 1931 until 1999. The building was demolished in 2003.
- Niagara Motors (Site Number E907025) - The Former Niagara Motors site consists of approximately 4.3 acres. The site has been used for various industrial purposes, including the manufacturing of marine engines from at least 1919 through the 1970s. Operations ceased in the 1970s. The industrial building was abandoned approximately 10 years later and ultimately demolished. Inspections of the site found evidence of improper petroleum disposal. Between 2005 and 2007, DEC performed environmental investigations at the site, and in September 2006 the Department excavated two underground storage tanks. The investigation revealed that surface and subsurface soils were contaminated with lead, arsenic, and petroleum.
- Roblin Steel (Site Number B00173) - The former Roblin Steel site in Dunkirk is being addressed through New York's Environmental Restoration Program and will be available for redevelopment. The Site is located at 320 South Roberts Road in the City of Dunkirk. It was initially part of a larger industrial complex operated by the American Locomotive Company in the early 1900s. The 12-acre site was most recently occupied by a rolling mill that was closed and partially dismantled in the late 1980s. Since that time the Roblin Steel Site has been vacant. Final cleanup actions will begin in March 2010 and are expected to be completed by the end of the year. Once the cleanup is complete, the property will be available for commercial purposes.
- Standard Portable (Site Number C907030) - Former metal working operations at this site in Mayville, NY contaminated the property and adjacent areas with a chemical called TCE. Environmental investigation work is being conducted to determine if TCE contamination is migrating toward Lake Chautauqua.
- 3 Gates Circle (Site Number C915272) - This brownfield site is located at 3 Gates Circle in the City of Buffalo. It consists of approximately 6.9 acres and encompasses the former Millard Fillmore Gates Circle hospital complex. The site was initially developed for residential use and partially used for tricycle manufacturing pre-1900. By 1916 the site was beginning to be operated as a hospital facility, with continued expansion of the hospital complex through the early 1970's (i.e. Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital). Now, the public is invited to comment on a draft work plan being reviewed by DEC to investigate the site.
89 LaSalle Avenue (Site Number C915283) - The proposed BCP site is located at 89 LaSalle Avenue in the City of Buffalo, Erie County. The site consists of 4 parcels totaling approximately 10.61 acres and is currently vacant with the exception of City-owned tennis courts and parking areas. The site is currently zoned for residential and commercial use, and is also used recreationally. The southeastern half of the site, including the City-owned parcel, was used as a stone quarry from approximately 1915 through 1950. The quarry was subsequently used by the City of Buffalo as a landfill in the 1950s and 1960s for the disposal of demolition debris, ash, railroad ballast and reportedly some municipal waste. The northwestern half of the site was used as a lumber yard since the early 1900s. More recently, some of the structures on this portion of the site were used for automotive storage after the lumberyard closed. There were no other uses noted for this portion of the site.
- 90 Hopkins Street (Site Number E915181) - The 90 Hopkins Street site is 8.25 acres located off Hopkins Avenue in the City of Buffalo, Erie County, approximately 1/4 mile south of the Tifft Street intersection. The site is situated in an urban industrial area.
- 73-79 W. Huron St. (Site Number C915282) - The 73-79 W. Huron Street is a 0.576 acre site located in Buffalo, in Erie County. The site consists of a building and a parking lot. The six story rectangular parking garage is at 73 W Huron. The parking lot portion of the site is used for commercial purposes. Following a site cleanup, the building will be redeveloped for mixed commercial/residential use. The six-story building was constructed in the early 1900s as a horse stable. It was later converted to an automobile parking ramp. Historical activities included the use of petroleum products in above ground drums and underground tanks.
- 111 Hydraulic Street (Site Number C915235) - The 111 Hydraulic Street site in the City of Buffalo is approximately 3 acres. Since 1940, the site has been used by dry cleaning, linen and laundry services, commercial retail stores, offices, auto body repair shops, gas tank removal and refurbishing services, and door and radiator sand blasting services. Site investigations conducted in 2006-07 and 2009-10 revealed the presence of petroleum hydrocarbons, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and metals. Contamination at the site is being addressed under the BCP.
- 125 Main Street (Site Number C915262) - The site is an approximately 2.185-acre parcel located in the historic canal district of the City of Buffalo, Erie County, New York. The site was historically utilized for various commercial and industrial purposes since at least the early 1800s, including commercial storefronts, restaurants, hotel, the Lehigh Valley Railroad Passenger Station, contractor's yard, junk yard, former Quay Street, A. Krauss Hide and Wool Warehouse, Forbush and Brown Boot and Shoe manufacturing company, tin shop, paint shop, Patent medicine manufacturer, wire works, and the former Hamburg Canal. The site was utilized as the General William J Donovan State Office Building from approximately 1961 through 2008 and is currently vacant. Environmental cleanup activities at the site are beginning.
- 129 Holden Street (Site Number C915261) - From 1877 to 1948, the Buffalo Cement Co. operated this site for mining. In 1958 the site was developed by Central Park Shopping Center, Inc. In addition to shopping stores, other businesses such as auto repair, photographic processing, and dry cleaning also occupied the Central Park Plaza. The site has been vacant since July 2011. The site has been accepted in the the BCP and a Draft Remedial Investigation Plan is now available for comment.
- 132 Dingens Street (Site Number C915263) - This 13-acre site is located at 132-136 Dingens Street in Buffalo. Most of the contamination occurred before 1966, at that time, the area was built up to its current grade with mixed fill that contributed to the semi-volatile organic compound (SVOC) and heavy metal contamination. A fuel service company with numerous petroleum aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) and underground storage tanks (USTs) operated at the site until 1966 when it was purchased for a food distribution warehouse. The warehouse was constructed in 1974. The warehouse burned down in 2011. DEC accepted written comments about the draft investigation work plan for 30 days, from July 10, 2012 through August 10, 2012.
- 154 South Ogden Street (Site Number C915268) - This brownfield site is located in an urban area. It is a 21 acre site of a 26.6 acre parcel. The site is a vacant lot with multiple debris piles, and bound by the Buffalo River to the north, South Ogden Street to the east, railroad tracks to the west and Mineral Spring Road to the south. Historic records indicate the site was not previously developed; however a portion of the property was previously traversed by the Buffalo River and was filled with concurrent straightening of the river channel. Portions of this site were historically used as a dump. DEC is proposing an expedited cleanup for a portion of the 154 South Ogden Street site. DEC is accepting written comments about the proposed Draft IRM Work Plan for 45 days.
- 193 Ship Canal Parkway (Site Number C915240) - This brownfield site is located in the Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park, the recently redeveloped former location of the Hanna Furnace iron foundry, on the southern boundary of the City of Buffalo, near NY State Route 5 and the Union Ship Canal. The site includes numerous piles of construction and demolition debris. There is also a dry pond, several feet deep, excavated in 2004 to accept groundwater pumped from the excavations dug to install the sewers and other utilities for the commerce park. The site is currently inactive and located in a district currently zoned for heavy industrial use. Two nearby parcels in the commerce park were redeveloped under the Brownfield Cleanup Program and are occupied by manufacturing facilities (Certainteed, Site #C915185 and Cobey, Site #C915202). A third parcel, the Hanna Furnace Subparcel 3 site (#B00164) was remediated under the Environmental Restoration Program and is a municipal park. Until 1980, the site was once part of the rail yard that serviced the Hanna Furnace iron foundry and was the area in which the pig iron was often stored. The foundry and rail yard were constructed on what was previously marsh land that had been backfilled with steel and iron slag, presumably for other foundries in the Buffalo/Lackawanna area.
- 250 Delaware Ave (FKA 233 South Elmwood Avenue and 234 Delaware Avenue) (Site Number C91271) - This approximately 1.96 acre site is located in the entertainment district of Buffalo. A two story "L"- shaped building, referred to as the Delaware Court Building, built in 1925 for mixed commercial use occupied approximately one third of the site parcel. The Delaware Court Building was previously utilized as a mixed-use commercial building. A single-story building that was formerly utilized as a retail gasoline station with a convenience was also on the site.
- 285-295 Niagara Street (Site Number C915259) - The site is located within the City of Buffalo, and is comprised of two adjoining parcels that total approximately 0.68 acres. The northern portion of the Site has a history of manufacturing and commercial operation, and was utilized as a carriage manufacturing operation and blacksmith shop, as well as a painting and varnishing operation since 1889. Around 1900, a bicycle manufacturing operation occupied the southern portion of the parcel including a machine shop and metal plating operations. The southern portion of the site was utilized as an automobile filling station and car wash, beginning around 1961. The building and gas station were demolished in the winter of 2014. Construction of a multi-story tower building for hotel, business office, retail use and a multi-story parking garage for the new building tenants.
- 275 Franklin Street (Site Number C915208) See also 432 Pearl Street (Site Number C915237) - This brownfield site encompasses two contiguous parcels located at 275-277 Franklin Street (~0.13 acres), and 279 Franklin Street (~0.12 acres) in the City of Buffalo. The site is situated in an urban commercial district, currently used as a commercial surface parking lot approximately 0.25 acres in size. 279 Franklin Street: This lot was used for residential purposes from the late 1800s through the 1950s, and as a parking lot from the early 1980s to present. Previous use of the lot does not reveal any recognized environmental concerns. 275-277 Franklin Street: In the late 1800s, the lot contained a residence with a carriage shed facing Asbury Alley. By the 1950s, the residence was replaced with a commercial use building, and record information indicates the structure was used by a dry cleaning business from approximately 1951 through the early 2000s. The building on the parcel was demolished in 2004 by the applicant. The building area of the parcel was subsequently paved over and is currently being used as a commercial surface parking lot. Future development plans for the site and adjoining BCP site (C915237) consists of a hotel with conference and parking facilities.
- 295 Maryland Street (Site Number C915242) - The site consists of 1,495 acres of contiguous property at 295 Maryland and 129 West Avenue. The Site was historically used in a residential and commercial capacity with the property at 295 Maryland Street most recently occupied by Lamar Advertising, Inc., a firm specializing in the sale of billboard advertising space and erection of billboard signs.
- 300 Ohio Street (Site Number C915257) - The site is approximately 5 acres, located in a historically industrial area of the City of Buffalo. The majority of the site was utilized as a gasoline/diesel filling station and a petroleum distribution operation since at least 1925. Until the late 1990s portions of the site was used as an auto/truck gas and service station, dating back to 1925. The two buildings on the northern portion of the site along Chicago and Mackinaw Street (E&B Machinery and Central Manufacturing) operated a machine shop, trucking terminal and coffin and cooperage manufacturing operations. The site has been closed since the late 1990's. The main site features include a truck terminal, restaurant/office building, five pump islands with product dispensers, and three abandoned buildings. A majority of the site is paved. Grass covered areas are present in the northwest quadrant of the site.
- 318 Urban Street (Site Number 915151) - This site is 2.5 acres located at 318 Urban Street in Buffalo. DEC has determined the cleanup requirements to address contamination under New York's State Superfund Program (SSF) have been or will be met. DEC has approved the Final Engineering Report and reclassified the site.
- 348 Langner Road (Site Number C915256) - The site is an approximate 2.6 acre parcel located at the corner of Langner and Ridge Road, and is currently used as a car wash and gas station. The site has been a gas station since the 1950's. Operations as a gas station have impacted on-site soil/fill and groundwater with VOCs and SVOCs pounds which will require remediation.
- 432 Pearl Street (Site Number C915237) See also 275 Franklin Street (Site Number C915208) - The BCP site consists of two non-contiguous parcels in the City of Buffalo, located at 432 Pearl Street (0.45 acres) and at 267 Franklin Street (0.25 acres). The two parcels are adjacent to each other, but are separated by Asbury Alley. The site is situated in an urban commercial district. The site is adjacent to BCP site C915208. The 432 Pearl Street parcel is a paved commercial parking lot. The 267 Franklin Street parcel contains an occupied apartment building with a paved parking lot for the tenants. 432 Pearl Street: In the late 1800s, the northern half of the parcel consisted of four separate lots with residential buildings facing Pearl Street and carriage sheds facing Asbury Alley. By the 1940s, one of the residences was demolished and converted to a surface parking lot. The balance of these residences were demolished in subsequent years and also converted to surface parking lots. No known date concerning the demolition of the residences and conversion to parking lots is available or provided. Continuing southward along this parcel, in the late 1800s, two lots also contained residences and two lots contained apartment/rooming houses. By the mid 1920, the two residences were replaced by a retail commercial building (record use indicates that a heating equipment company occupied the building). By the 1940s, the commercial building and apartment/rooming houses were demolished and converted to surface parking. 267 Franklin Street: In the late 1800s through 1926, land use consisted of two separate apartment buildings on this parcel. The northern half of the 267 Pearl Street parcel contained a residential apartment building facing Franklin Street. The apartment building appears to have been demolished between 1925 and 1946. Future development plans for the site, in conjunction with BCP site C915208, consists of a hotel with conference and parking facilities.
1050-1088 Niagara Street (Site Number C915277) - This site is located in the City of Buffalo. The site is comprised of three adjoining parcels and is approximately 2.7 acres in size. The parcels are 1050 Niagara Street, 1054 Niagara Street and 1088 Niagara Street. The site is currently zoned for Light Industrial, but is used for commercial use. The 1050 Niagara Street parcel was used for commercial/industrial operations since 1889. Historic Sanborn records indicate that two 25,000 gallon tanks, likely containing fuel oil and/or printing related solvents were located in the basement of the building. Lithographic printing operation historically utilized VOC-based solvent routinely for printing cleaning, degreasing and ink-solvents. The 1088 Niagara Street parcel (northern portion of the site) formerly included the International Brewing Company and American Gelatine Corp. operated on-site in the early 1900s. Records from 1925 indicate Hygrade Oil Co. utilized the site as a service station and fuel distribution facility, including multiple petroleum storage and distribution tanks, gasoline pump house(s), and tank wagon loading house, which was historically located abutting the current 1050 Niagara Street building, from at least the 1920s through the 1960s. Gulf Oil Corporation and Hygrade Petroleum Co. were identified as on-site operators from approximately the 1920s through 1960.
- 1318 Niagara Street (Site Number E915213) - The 1318 Niagara Street site had been used as a brewery for at least eighty years. The City of Buffalo acquired the site through foreclosure and in 2006 began to demolish structures. During demolition, USTs were discovered. The soils adjacent to the USTs, along with soils in the vicinity of the former brewery furnace, were contaminated with PCBs and various volatile organic compounds. A previous site owner's improper storage and/or handling of oil wastes contaminated the property. The City of Buffalo is conducting cleanup work under the Environmental Restoration Program.
- 4630 River Road (Site Number C915258) - The public is invited to comment on a draft work plan being reviewed by DEC to perform environmental investigation work at the 4360 River Road Site in Tonawanda. At one point, the site contained a pond that received storm water from the former Ashland Petroleum Company that was located on adjacent property to the west. The use of this pond was reportedly discontinued in 1982 when operations at the Ashland Petroleum facility ceased.
- 5565 River Road (Site Number 915239) - The 5565 River Road Site consists of approximately 24 acres of a single parcel located at 5565 River Road in the Town of Tonawanda, Erie County, New York. The site is heavily vegetated by a mixture of trees, tall grass, scrub brush and shrubs. Historic information concerning the site is extremely limited. Clusters of 55-gallon drums were observed on the ground surface at six different areas of the site. The majority of these drums were empty, rusted and in poor condition. In October 2012 the site was listed as a Class 2 Site in the New York State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites.
- American Linen Supply Company (Site Number C915241) - The Former American Linen Supply Company site, located at 822 Seneca Street in Buffalo, is approximately 2.921 acres and is currently vacant. Once cleaned up, it is anticipated to be utilized for commercial and/or industrial purposes. Suspected and known contaminants at this site are petroleum, chlorinated solvents, VOCs and metals. These contaminants are impacting the soil and groundwater.
- Ameron (Site Number 915133) - The Ameron site encompasses approximately 3.2 acres in the City of Buffalo. The site is located in a mixed use (residential/industrial/commercial) area. From approximately 1960 to 1982, the site had been used for the production of protective coating materials involving the use of solvents and other chemicals. Environmental contamination has impacted the site's subsurface soil and groundwater. Contaminants of concern included PCBs, lead, and VOCs.
- ARO Corporation (Site Number 915147) - This site is located at 3695 Broadway in the Town of Cheektowaga. Aro Corporation was a manufacturer of life support equipment, cryogenic storage vessels and breathing regulators. Manufacturing operations ceased in 1996 and the main building was demolished. Prior to purchasing the ARO facility, Ingersoll-Rand conducted an environmental assessment of the property. The assessment was later followed by a Remedial Investigation of the site due to trichloroethene (TCE) contamination found in soils beneath the site and in the site ground water. Ground water beneath two residential properties immediately west of the ARO facility had also been impacted. In 1997, Ingersoll-Rand purchased these two adjacent properties. The March 1995 Record of Decision (ROD) called for the removal and treatment of ground water and the remediation of soils by soil vacuum extraction (SVE). The treatment system was put into operation in the spring of 1998 and has been operational since. In 2004, Ingersoll-Rand began a pneumatic fracturing program in several wells to enhance system performance. Site Monitoring is being conducted under an approved O&M Plan. October 2013 Update: Work is anticipated to be conducted during the fall of 2013. Upon completion of the work, the Annual Report will be prepared that documents the activities that were performed.
- Bengart and Memel (Site Number 915115) - This site in the City of Buffalo is contaminated with chemicals called PCBs, which resulted from operations involving the recovery of metals and metal alloys. The site is being addressed under the SSF.
- Buffalo China (Site Number C915209) - The Buffalo China facility in the City of Buffalo formerly manufactured china and mirrors, resulting in site contamination. The site, which is currently owned and operated by Niagara Ceramics Corp., occupies approximately 8 acres. It is situated in a mixed-use community consisting of various industrial and commercial facilities, residential properties, and railroad tracks. The nearest body of water is the Buffalo River, located approximately ¼ mile south and east of the site. Environmental investigations have identified that the site's soil and groundwater have been impacted by VOCs and lead, and the VOC contamination in the groundwater has migrated off site. DEC has determined that this contamination poses a significant threat to the environment.
- Buffalo Color (Site Numbers C915230, C915231, C915232) - The Buffalo Color site occupies approximately 42 acres of land adjacent to the Buffalo River. The former Buffalo Color Corporation and its predecessors produced dyes for blue jeans and other organic chemicals for over 100 years. Buffalo Color Corporation filed for bankruptcy in 2003. The company's chemical production contaminated site soils and groundwater. South Buffalo Development (SBD), collaborating with Honeywell (a potentially responsible party), is remediating the site as a participant in the BCP. Remediation is expected to be complete in 2012. SBD intends to redevelop the site for commercial and light industrial purposes. DEC has issued a Certificate of Completion to the applicant regarding the site in January 2011. A copy of the Notice of the Certification of Completion is available at the locations identified in the fact sheet.
- Buffalo Forge (Site Number C915280) - The site is in the City of Buffalo and is comprised of seven parcels each having a separate address, though the site is often identified as being located at 490 Broadway. The site is currently vacant land, zoned Commercial and Industrial. Grass vegetation is present in the central and western portions of the property over the footprints of former buildings and asphalt former parking areas are present in the eastern portion of the property. The main site was occupied by the Buffalo Forge Co. from the late 1880s through the early 1990s, which included a machine shop, blacksmith/ foundry, and E.N. Cook's Distillery. The northern portion of the site includes a former filling station, an apparent residential gasoline tank, a furniture repair structure, several dwellings and a garage. In the 1980s, the entire site appears to be utilized by Buffalo Forge Co., primarily as a foundry, machine shop, and storage/warehousing facility. Most recent operations included manufacturing heavy duty industrial air moving equipment, such as fans, blowers and cabinets. The site buildings were demolished in 2006 and 2007.
- Buffalo River Restoration - DEC, USEPA, Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper, Honeywell, and USACE are working together in partnership to restore the Buffalo River. September 2013 Update: The partnership will begin environmental dredging of the Buffalo River (2 page PDF, 753 KB) this fall. Contaminated sediment close to the banks of the river will be removed, limited areas capped and habitat restored.
- Depew Village Landfill (Site Number 915105) - The Depew Village Landfill operated between 1940 and 1961. During operations it processed municipal waste, as well as hazardous wastes from unknown sources. Contamination, particularly lead, has impacted the landfill property, the adjacent stream bank, sediments in Cayuga Creek, and a portion of the slope under Zurbrick Road. DEC is addressing the site as two separate operable units. Fact sheets and project documents specific to Operable Units 1 and 2 are available from the Depew Village Landfill page.
- ExxonMobil (Site Number C915201) - The ExxonMobil Former Buffalo Terminal site was historically used for petroleum refining, storage and distribution. Operable Unit 4 (OU-4, subject of the current Alternatives Analysis Report (AAR)) is one of five operable units comprising the entire site. OU-4, which is currently owned by Buckeye Terminals LLC., occupies approximately 16.6 acres. It is bordered to the south by the Buffalo River and is currently utilized for the storage of refined petroleum fuels. The area of OU-4 was created in the early 1900s to realign the Buffalo River. It consists of urban fill and municipal waste from a former City of Buffalo landfill. ExxonMobil purchased the OU-4 area in 1951 and constructed storage tanks in 1953. DEC has determined that the contamination in OU-4 poses a significant threat to the environment.
- Former Bethlehem Steel (Site Number 915009) - Bethlehem Steel, in the City of Lackawanna, was once a major engine of economic productivity in Western New York. Over the years the complex grew to over 1600 acres. Environmental contamination varies across the property with 400 acres listed on the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal (SSF) Sites. This area is being addressed under the State's Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action Program. An additional 500 acres are being remediated under the BCP by the current site owner, Tecumseh Redevelopment (see Tecumseh entries below).
- Former Doro Dry Cleaners (Site Number 915238) - DEC will soon begin a detailed environmental study at the Former Doro Dry Cleaners located at 3460-3466 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga. The site is located in a commercial and suburban setting, near Union Road and NYS Route 33. The site is listed as a Class "2" site in the State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Sites (list of State Superfund sites). A Class 2 site represents a significant threat to public health or the environment; action is required. The site is zoned for commercial use and currently inactive, had been used primarily for dry cleaning for approximately 40 years. Prior uses that have led to site contamination include the storage and use of chlorinated solvent for the dry cleaning facility.
- Former Mobil Station (Site Number C915260) - DEC is reviewing cleanup documents for the Former Mobil Service Station 99-MST located at 979-1001 Main Street, Buffalo, Erie County. The site borders with Goodrich Street on north, High Street on south and a parking lot for the Buffalo General Hospital on the east. The land use in the project area is characterized as urban mixed use, primarily commercial and community services. The community services include public and private medical and hospital facilities. DEC accepted written comments about the proposed Remedial Investigation and IRM work plan for 30 days, from August 29 through September 29, 2012. This brownfield site is 1.7 acres with four vacant parcels. The site has sat vacant for less than 10 years. From the 1940s to 1982 the site was operated as a gas station.
- Gastown (Site Number 915171) -The Gastown site is the location of a former MGP. Prior to the introduction of natural gas and electric lights, these plants processed coal and petroleum to make a combustible gas used for cooking, lighting and heating. The gas production left an oily mixture called coal tar that impacted soils at and surrounding the site. The site is part of the Voluntary Cleanup Program.
- GE Buffalo Service Shop (Site Number 915244) - The Notice of Proposed Final Corrective Measures for GE Buffalo Service Shop facility, USEPA ID NYD067539940, was issued on November 16, 2011. The Fact Sheet for the GE facility includes a brief summary of the site investigations, interim corrective measures performed and the proposed Final Corrective Measures. The Statement of Basis (PDF) (18 pages, 1.80 MB) contains a summary of investigations, describes other remedial alternatives considered and describes the proposed final corrective measures for the facility. The facility is located in the Town of Tonawanda, Erie County, New York. The Notice and the Fact Sheet for GE Buffalo Service Shop (PDF) (5 pages, 88 KB) is available on the web.
- Greif (Site Number V00334) - From 1948 to 1985, the Greif site was owned and operated by Continental Fiber Drum and Continental Can Corporation. Historical manufacturing operations at this time consisted of the production of fiber drums but also included production of metal lids and rims used in the fiber drums. The production of the metal lids and rims involved varnishing and degreasing operations. These operations were the source of the VOCs that contaminated soil, soil vapor, and ground water in portions of the site. Greif acquired the Site in 1998. It continues to be used for the manufacture of fiber drums and associated products. The facility located at 2122 Colvin Boulevard in the Town of Tonawanda.
- HARBORcenter (Site Number C915270) - The public is invited to comment on a draft work plan being reviewed by DEC to investigate the Webster Block (brownfield site) located at 75 Main Street, Buffalo, Erie County.
- Hanna Furnace Parcel 3 - See Union Ship Canal
- Iroquois Gas/Westwood Pharmaceuticals Terrestrial (Site Number 915141A) - The superfund site is approximately 8.8 acres at 100 Forest Avenue in the City of Buffalo. The site is zoned for industrial use and is currently leased to a trucking firm for warehousing operations. Surrounding properties include a mix of commercial, light and heavy industrial, and residential parcels. The site operated as a manufactured gas plant from approximately 1897 through 1955 with continued gas storage on site until 1972. Iroquois Gas buried waste materials such as heavy tars, sludges, coal, coke, and demolition debris. In 1972, Westwood Pharmaceutical found soil and groundwater contamination during construction in 1985 consisting of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene (BTEX). DEC listed the site in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in 1989.
- Lackawanna Incinerator (Site Number 915206) - This is located at 2960 South Park Ave. in the City of Lackawanna. The parcel was first used beginning in 1927 as the municipal incinerator, continuing until 1980. The site is listed as a Class "2" site in the State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Sites.
- Leica (Site Number 915156) - The Leica SSF site, once home to companies that produced optical equipment, was remediated beginning in 1999. However, contamination continues to impact groundwater in the bedrock below the site. Leica Inc. is implementing ongoing remedial measures and will conduct additional investigation activities to determine if vapors are being released from the contaminated groundwater.
- National Fuel Gas - Buffalo Service Center (Site Number V00362) - The property is located in the City of Buffalo near the Waterfront School and HealthNow Headquarters Building with restoration work completed during June, July and August of 2012, while Waterfront School is on summer break. Some restoration work may be completed in early September. The area being excavated is a small section of the former Wilkeson Slip. The former Wilkeson Slip area was part of the Erie Canal system that was filled many decades ago. The materials used to fill the slip may have contained oily residues and other hydrocarbons that exceed today's cleanup standards.
- National Fuel Gas - Mineral Springs MPG (Site Number V00195) - The 80 acre site is located at 365 Mineral Springs Road in the Town of West Seneca in a mixed industrial and residential area along the border between the City of Buffalo and the Town of West Seneca. The facility is located at the site of a former MGP facility. Since its original use as a MGP, the property has been redeveloped into a major equipment maintenance and natural gas distribution center.The remedial work was completed in June 2001. Approximately 32,000 tons of material was removed from the site.
- Niagara Transformer (Site Number C915234) - The Niagara Transformer site encompasses approximately 3 acres and is located on Dale Road on the southern side of the intersection of Dale and Anderson Roads in a predominantly industrial and commercial area of Cheektowaga, New York. The site has been vacant for over 30 years and was previously used for industrial or commercial purposes, including railroad siding and salvage yard activities. Previous releases of PCBs have impacted the site. Niagara Transformer intends to develop the property for manufacturing purposes.
- NL Industries (Site Number C915200) - The former National Lead Company (NL Industries) operated at this site from 1936 to 1972. Past activities (starting in 1892) have included brass foundry operations, smelting operations, and the processing of Babbitt (alloy of tin, copper, and antimony). These historical activities contaminated the site with metals, particularly lead. DEC has completed cleanup activities at the site. USEPA is addressing contamination that migrated offsite.
- NOCO #S41 (Site Number C915211) - This site, located at Fillmore Avenue and Genesee Street in the City of Buffalo, was once a retail gasoline station. The site had been impacted by petroleum contamination. NOCO entered the BCP to address contamination. Cleanup actions successfully addressed contamination, and DEC has certified that cleanup goals have been achieved. The COC was issued in December 2009.
- Polymer Applications (Site Number 915044) - Polymer Applications in the Town of Tonawanda operated from 1968 through 1988. Its activities included the manufacture of phenolic resins, phenol-formaldehyde resins, plastics, and various rubber products for use in the automotive, paint, and coatings industries. A major fire in 1988 released a number of chemicals, and cleanup efforts since then have been ongoing. Remediation started in February 2011 and has been completed at this site.
- Scott Aviation Area 1 (Site Number C915233) - Scott Aviation in Lancaster, NY produced supplied-air systems and landing plates for small airplanes from the early 1950s to 1973. The brownfield site, contaminated from the manufacturing of these products, sits adjacent to Plant 1 of the Scott Aviation facility. The current owner of the site, Scott Technologies, will conduct an environmental investigation to determine the extent of contamination in site soil, groundwater, and possibly soil vapor, and develop a plan to address the contamination.
- Seneca Street (Site Number C915228) - The 1132 and 1146 Seneca Street site encompasses approximately 4.2 acres and is located on the northern/northeastern side of Seneca Street in a predominantly mixed industrial, commercial and residential area of South Buffalo, New York. The Site has been used for industrial purposes, including an electrical transformer repair facility. Previous releases of PCBs have impacted the Site. Flexo Transparent Inc/RSB Enterprises LLC purchased the Site property and voluntarily entered the BCP to clean up the Site for expansion of their adjacent manufacturing facility.
- Spaulding Composites (Site Numbers 915050 and E915050) - The Spaulding Composites site in Tonawanda has been cleaned up through the Environmental Restoration and the SSF. Spaulding began operations as a manufacturer of vulcanized fiber, an early "plastic" made by treating paper with a zinc chloride solution. The paper used to produce vulcanized fiber was also manufactured at the site. During the late 1940s to early 1950s, the plant began production of composite laminates. The resins used to make these laminates were also produced at the facility. In the fall of 1992, Spaulding ceased manufacturing operations at the site and began decommissioning the plant. Decommissioning activities were completed in 1995. Remediation of the site concluded in 2010. The cleanup will allow for redevelopment of the site.
- Tecumseh Business Park (Site Numbers C915197, C915218, C915198, C915199, C915199G, C915199H, and C915205) - Tecumseh, Inc. is the owner of a large, approximately 1,100-acre property located south of Buffalo, New York, west of Route 5, in the City of Lackawanna and the Town of Hamburg. The property once was home to the Bethlehem Steel Corporation (BSC), Lackawanna Works, and was formerly used for the production of steel, coke and related products. Steel production on the property was discontinued in 1983 and the coke ovens ceased activity in 2000. Portions of the property were impacted by contaminants associated with steel and coke production. Tecumseh signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Erie County and the City of Lackawanna to promote and implement redevelopment of the former BSC property following cleanup. A portion of the Redevelopment Master Plan incorporates a Business Park area along NYS Route 5. The property is divided into multiple sites to facilitate remediation and redevelopment.
- Tonawanda Coke (Site Number 915055) - The Tonawanda Coke site is a 160 acre property located in an industrial area at 3875 River Road in the Town of Tonawanda. A portion of the site sits along the eastern bank of the Niagara River. Several coke oven batteries bake coal at extremely high temperatures to produce coke, used as a fuel and in steelmaking. Wastes associated with coke production were disposed on site. From 1981 through 1997, several investigations revealed widespread contamination impacting soil, sediment and groundwater. In 2005, an additional environmental investigation revealed the presence of volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds, and metals.
- Trinidad Park Site (Site Number B00083) - Environmental cleanup activities are taking place under the SSF at the City of Buffalo's Trinidad Park, located at 237 Kensington Avenue and Trinidad Place. In the summer of 2010, tar was observed seeping from cracks in the surface of one of the park's two basketball courts. Until the late 1960s, the park was the location of an asphalt plant. Abandoned and leaking underground storage tanks of diesel fuel were removed from the park by DEC in the mid 1990s. Between 2001 and 2002, an environmental investigation of the park by the City of Buffalo and DEC discovered another buried tank, containing asphalt tar, which was also removed. The cleanup work that is planned will determine the source of the tar now seeping to the surface and remove it for off-site disposal.
- Union Ship Canal (Site Number B00164) - The Union Ship Canal site is also referred to as Parcel 3 of the Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park. It is a 200 foot-wide strip of land surrounding the Union Ship Canal east of Route 5, covering approximately 22 acres. Parcel 3 and the commerce park were once the site of Hanna Furnace, an iron smelting facility. Prior to industrialization, the area was predominantly marsh land. The historical disposal of fill materials (e.g., slag, cinders, demolition debris, and dredged sediments) and the subsequent operations of the iron smelting facility contaminated site soil and groundwater with hazardous substances, including heavy metals and SVOCs.
- Vibratech Inc (Site Number 915165) - The Vibratech site is located in a mixed industrial/commercial/residential area in the City of Buffalo. Two and three story brick buildings cover more than half of this 10.3 acre site. The site was utilized for the manufacture of vibration dampeners and rotary shock absorbers for the truck and railroad industry. Specific operations at the plant included chip turning, assembly of components, heat treating and plating. The plant operated from 1927 through the mid-1990's.
- 600 River Road Apartments (Site Number C932161) - The site is located in an urban area at 600 River Road in the city of North Tonawanda. The Niagara River runs along the western edge of the site and River Road along the eastern side. The main feature of the site is a 2,940 square foot metal warehouse building. The property is generally flat with several grass-covered piles of apparent soil/fill present on the eastern portion of the site. Miscellaneous piles of debris are located throughout the property. The site was a portion of a greater parcel utilized by Niagara Iron Works/Tonawanda Iron Works from at least 1886 through at least 1972. Historic usage included several railroad tracks throughout the property and a pig-iron casting operation. The site was then vacant until 1988 when AJ Marine Construction, a commercial retailer, began operations and continued until 2008. Since 2008 the metal building on the site has been used as a warehouse.
- 815 River Road (Site Number B00178) - The 815 River Road site is a 1 acre parcel located in a commercial/industrial area of North Tonawanda in Niagara County. It is located on the east side of River Road, directly across the road from the City's waste water treatment plant. The site was used for several decades for automotive repairs, most recently by a company which leased and maintained school buses. The presence of USTs were documented on the site as far back as 1961. It is believed that several of these tanks leaked petroleum products into site soils. The City of North Tonawanda and the DEC cleaned up the site between 2003 and 2007. The cleanup actions, called interim remedial measures, were selected as the final remedy for the site since they successfully addressed contamination.
- 1501 College Avenue (Former Union Carbide) (Site Number C932134) - The site was used for heavy industrial manufacturing from at least 1910 to the mid-1980s, and at one time was part of a larger Union Carbide Company manufacturing complex encompassing the Site and the eastern and western adjoining parcels. Previous investigations of the site and the adjoining eastern site (former Hazorb Site) have identified elevated SVOCs, metals and PCBs as contaminants of concern. Areas of concern include former ASTs and USTs areas, former transformer areas, soil/fill/debris piles, areas of drum storage and floor drains, sumps and vaults, areas of visibly-stained soil, former illegal scrapping areas and numerous areas of general dumping.
- Covanta (Site Number C932160) - The proposed Covanta Niagara Rail-to-Truck Intermodal Facility is located at 137 47th Street, Niagara Falls. The project site encompasses approximately 15 acres along the railroad tracks on the eastern edge of a larger, former industrial complex. The project site is occupied by one approximately 13,700 sq ft building formerly utilized for the maintenance and repair of locomotives; an inactive rail yard; and concrete floor slabs representing remnants of the former industrial complex. The on-site structure is not currently utilized and is in a deteriorated state. The remaining portions of the project site generally consist of aged asphalt, concrete and gravel surfaces with some successional vegetation occurring along the eastern site boundary. The project site was owned and operated by the Union Carbide Corporation Metals Division, which first developed the complex in the early 1900's. The plant produced special alloys, tungsten, ferroalloys, calcium carbide and ferrovanadium ferrotungsten. Union Carbide's Linde Division also operated a welding flux manufacturing facility on the plant property. May 2013 Update: Action is about to begin that will address contamination.
- Durez North Tonawanda Facility (Site Number 932018) - A drainage improvement and wildlife revitalization project is planned for the former Durez Plastics site located at 700 Walck Road in the City of North Tonawanda in Niagara County. The site is currently operated by Glenn Springs Holdings, Inc. This work is being performed as part of the site's Operation, Maintenance and Monitoring (OM&M) requirements and will improve area surface drainage, reduce/eliminate potential surface runoff from the site to off site locations, remove trees and vegetation that could impact the perimeter interceptor trench, which provides groundwater containment for the site, and provide a response to neighborhood concerns regarding surface runoff from the site. September 2013 Update: A drainage improvement and wildlife revitalization project is planned.
- Durez Corporation - Niagara Falls (EPA Id. No: NYD002103216) - Durez submitted an application to renew its 6 NYCRR Part 373 Hazardous Waste Management Permit at its facility in Niagara Falls. DEC accepted written comments on this application from December 19, 2012 to February 3, 2013.
Eighteenmile Creek Sites (Site Number 932121 and 932156) - Eighteenmile Creek consists of two sites, Eighteenmile Creek Corridor Site (between Clinton and Harwood Streets in the City of Lockport, site number 932121) and Eighteenmile Creek Sediments Site (from Harwood Street in the City of Lockport to Lake Ontario, aproximately 15 miles, site number 932156). The sites include the creek itself and the millrace at the Flintkote property, the Flintkote plant, the Former United Paperboard property, Upson Park, the White Transportation property, and Water Street residential properties. The Flintkote plant is suspected to be the major source of mainly PCB and lead contamination at the site. Flintkote began operations as a manufacturer of felt and felt products in 1928. Manufacturing continued at Flintkote until December of 1971,
Click to view Fashion Outlets fact sheet when operations ceased and the plant closed.
- Ekonol (Site Number V00653) - The Ekonol Polyester Resins facility is an active manufacturing facility located in the Town of Wheatfield. An underground concrete tank was used at the Ekonol facility from the 1970s through 1999 for collection of waste waters from the building floor drain system. During a tank removal conducted in 1999, TCE and Phenols were detected in site soils. Investigations indicate VOCs (such as TCE and breakdown products) and SVOCs (such as Phenol) at high concentrations in soil, overburden and bedrock groundwater. BP America, Inc. is addressing contamination at the site through the Voluntary Cleanup Program.
- Former Mill No. 2 (Site Number C932150) - The Former Mill No. 2, located in a highly industrialized urban area of Niagara Falls, historically housed paper manufacturing, finishing and packaging operations of finished goods. The facility consisted of several interconnected buildings which were constructed between 1923 and 1974. The former mill was taken out of service several years ago and has fallen into disrepair to the point where certain areas have collapsed and others exhibit evidence of structural distress. In addition, a portion of the site experienced a significant fire that also may have caused additional structural deficiencies and contributed to the overall building decay. Norampac, a participant in the BCP, will demolish the buildings so that it can safely proceed with an environmental investigation.
- Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls Expansion (Site Number C932162) - DEC is reviewing both the Remedial Investigation Report and the Interim Remedial Measures Work Plan for this site located at 1705 Factory Outlet Boulevard, Town of Niagara, Niagara County. This property was owned by the Union Carbide Corporation from 1949 until 1969. The exact use of this property by Union Carbide is unknown. Use of the property for a mobile home community began in 1972. During an expansion to the south in 1978, fill material with elevated levels of chlorinated solvents, mercury and heating oil was discovered. The site encompasses approximately 48.6-acres and includes the 34-acre former Sabre Park Mobile Home Community located at 1705 Factory Outlet Boulevard, an approximate 11.28-acre parcel located on the southern portion of the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls property, and an approximate 3.45-acre parcel on the western side of the site located at 1755 Factory Outlet Boulevard.
- Frontier Chemical-Royal Ave (Site Number 932110) - This site is located at 4626 Royal Avenue. The site industrial use dates back to 1906 when it was owned and operated by the International Minerals and Chemical Company as a caustic chlorine (mercury cell) production plant. Frontier Chemical Waste Process Corporation operated a waste treatment, storage and disposal facility at the site from 1974 until 1992. During site operations, several major spills were documented. During 1993 to 1994, over 4,000 drums of wastes were removed from the site as part of a cleanup effort. Between 1994 and 1995, wastes were removed from the 45 chemical storage tanks remaining on the property through a cleanup effort by the USEPA. Environmental investigations in 2002 found extensive soil and groundwater contamination resulted from past waste storage, handling and treatment activities at the site. Two RODs have been issued for the site to address soil and groundwater contamination. 2013 Update - Action is about to begin that will address the contamination. See the fact sheet for more information.
- Globar (Former Carborundum, Site Number 932036) - The Globar site was previously owned by the Carborundum Company that manufactured heating elements used by the steel industry. The primary contaminant affecting the site is a volatile organic compound called TCE. Environmental investigations at the site are being conducted to determine if bioremediation technologies can be used to speed up the natural breakdown of TCE. A link to the report on the first phase of the environmental investigation may be found on the fact sheet page.
- GMCH (Site Numbers C932138, C932139 and C932140) - GMCH owns and operates a 342 acre automotive component manufacturing complex located at 200 Upper Mountain Road in both the City and Town of Lockport. Three buildings on the property have been entered into the BCP. Building 7 has been used for manufacturing since 1937. Previous investigations identified elevated levels of chlorinated solvents and semi-volatile organic compounds. Building 8 has been used for manufacturing since 1960. TCE and chlorinated solvents were detected in soil and groundwater samples. Building 10 was used for warehousing, and later, manufacturing. In 2009, soil vapor extraction and sub-slab depressurization systems were installed in part of the building to address chlorinated solvent contamination.
- Love Canal (Site Number 932020) - The 80-acre Love Canal site is located in the LaSalle section of the City of Niagara Falls. Originally, the site was approximately 16 acres and was part of a power canal between the upper and lower sections of the Niagara River. From 1942 to 1953, Hooker Electrochemical Company disposed of industrial hazardous wastes and the City of Niagara Falls disposed of municipal wastes. For closure, Hooker installed a clay cap to grade. In 1953 the Canal site was sold to the Board of Education. This was soon followed by the construction of the 99th St. School in 1954 and residential dwellings bordering the site on 97th and 99th streets. In 1978, the Commissioner of the Department of Health declared the area a public threat to human health and orders restricted access along with a State of Emergency recommending the relocation of pregnant women and children under the age of two residing in homes adjacent to the canal. Under an Emergency Declaration in 1979, a permanent leachate collection system, clay cap to 22 acres and an activated carbon treatment plant was constructed. This was later expanded to cover over 40 acres. The site is currently being operated and monitored under an approved OM&M program and reports are submitted annually to DEC on site management activities along with certifications of the sites institutional and engineering control(s) status as to the effectiveness of the remediation.
- Niagara Sanitation Company (Site Number (932054) - The Niagara Sanitation Company Site, also known as the Nash Road Landfill is an inactive landfill located directly north of City of North Tonawanda, adjacent to Nash Road, in the Town of Wheatfield, Niagara County, New York. The site was a swampy area before landfill activities occurred. Since landfilling, portions of the property are covered with surface water at certain times of the year, particularly in the spring. The current owner of the site is the Town of Wheatfield. The Niagara Sanitation Company Site was operated as a landfill by Niagara Sanitation Company between 1964 and 1968. Both municipal and industrial solid wastes, including caustic materials and sludges, are disposed at the site. Records show that the site was used for disposal by the Niagara Falls Air Force Base, Bell Aerospace, Carborundum, Frontier Chemical, Graphite Specialties, Continental Can, and Grief Brothers.
- Niagara Street Market (Site Number C932159) - The subject property is a combination of three adjacent parcels which together total approximately 0.3 acres. Located in the City of Niagara Falls on the northwest corner of 8th Street and Niagara Street, the property contains a one-story masonry building, which formerly functioned as a gasoline service station and vehicle repair facility. The public is invited to comment on a draft work plan being reviewed by DEC to investigate the Niagara Street Market site located at 710 Niagara Street. Documents related to the cleanup of this site can be found on DEC's website. DEC is accepting written comments about the draft investigation work plan for 30 days, from June 6, 2013 through July 5, 2013.
- Old Upper Mountain Road (Site Number 932112) - This site, located on the outskirts of the City of Lockport had been used as a municipal waste dump during the 1920s through the 1950s. Waste disposal has contaminated the site with lead and other materials. In August 2008, based upon results from sampling, the Old Upper Mountain Road Site was listed as a Class 2 Site in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in New York State.The Old Upper Mountain Road Site is approximately 7 acres in size. A narrow stream, Gulf Creek, emerges from a storm sewer culvert at the west side of the site and flows along the bottom of the ravine, eventually discharging into Eighteenmile Creek approximately one mile to the northeast.The public is invited to comment on a remedy proposed by DEC. DEC is accepting written comments about the proposed plan for 30 days, from February 28, 2013 through March 28, 2013. The proposed plan is available for review online.
- Peters Dry Cleaning (Site Number 932128) - The site is listed as a Class "2" site in the State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Sites (list of State Superfund sites). A Class 2 site represents a significant threat to public health or the environment; action is required. This site is located at 316 Willow Street in Lockport. It is located in a residential neighborhood of the City and near a City Park. Peters Dry Cleaning has been operated as a dry cleaning facility since the late 1930s/early 1940s. Prior to its use as a dry cleaner, the facility was used as a clothing tailor shop. The site is approximately 0.41 acres in size and is used for commercial purposes as a Dry Cleaning establishment. A two story brick structure occupies the majority of the property which houses the dry cleaning operation.
- Tract I (Site Number 932157) - The Tract I site in Niagara Falls was accepted in to the BCP in March 2012. Located adjacent to the Tract II SSF site, there are environmental concerns at this site due to its former association with battery manufacturing processes. Cleanup is on-going. The Tract I site is located at 3123 Highland Ave in the City of Niagara Falls in Niagara County. It is approximately 5.90 acres and shares a border with the Tract II Highland Avenue State Superfund Site (Site Number 932136). The site was mostly covered by the former Power City Warehouse Building, a three-story masonry building, which was in various levels of disrepair (the building has been demolished, as noted in the August 2013 fact sheet). The site was formerly the location of a battery manufacturing facility in until the mid-1970s.
- Tract II (Site Number 932136) - Tract II site in Niagara Falls once housed a business forms manufacturing operation as well as a former battery manufacturer. As a result the site is contaminated with high levels of lead on the eastern portion of the property. The original cleanup plan for the site was amended after site investigations discovered concentrations of lead in the eastern portion of the site that are considered hazardous. The DEC is proposing an Amendment to the 2003 ROD that would allow the site's soil to be treated, stabilized and placed back on the property in a consolidated cell area. The site would then be covered with a soil cover, building and/or pavement in preparation for commercial redevelopment. Tract II shares a border with the Tract I - Highland Ave Brownfield site.
- Transit Street MGP (Site Number 932098) - The Transit Street MGP site, currently owned by New York Electric and Gas, was once the site of a MGP facility. Production of gas from coal and petroleum products impacted the soils and groundwater at the site and surrounding areas. Tar is present near the former MGP structures at the site. Tar has migrated downward into the underlying bedrock and has moved northwest, where it has been observed on the wall of a deep bedrock cut which contains the NYS Barge Canal. In 2008, the canal wall was cleaned, but visible coal tar returned within 30 days, indicating that the discharge is continuous, although at a low volume. Contamination also appears to have moved under the canal and extends a short distance past the canal in the bedrock. The remedy for the site includes excavation of contaminated soils and measures to collect tar and control migration. The remedy will also seal the nearby canal wall to stop tar from seeping into the canal and remove contaminated sediment after the seeps are eliminated.
- Vacant Office Space Site (Site Number C932165) - The site is located at 31 Webster Street, North Tonawanda, New York and is located in the downtown section of the city. The vacant office building is currently located on the Site. A Phase I ESA contained documentation suggesting that the Site was former used as a gasoline filling station. A Phase II study was performed in August 2013 which confirmed the presence of petroleum contamination on the site. As a result of previous investigations, the property was assigned Spill Number 1005734 due to the presence of petroleum contamination in the subsurface soil and fill.
- Vanadium Corporation of America (Site Number 932001) - Action has begun to address contamination at this site located at 4400 Lockport Road in the Town of Niagara under New York's SSF. This site is 88 acres. From 1920 to 1964, the site was owned by the Vanadium Corporation of America. During that time, portions of the site were used to dispose of an estimated 594,000 tons of wood, brick, ash, lime slag (calcium hydroxide), ferrochromium silicon slag, and ferrochromium silicon dust. New York Power Authority purchased the property from Vanadium in 1959 for construction of the Niagara Power Project. A portion of this property was subsequently sold to Niagara Mohawk (aka National Grid).
- Wyoming County Fire Training Center (Site Number V00604) - The main site features include a Fire Training Facility building and a storm water retention pond. The site is currently used for fire training purposes, after construction of a new state of the art enclosed facility.