Pesticides and Alternatives
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is the state agency that regulates pesticides and is responsible for compliance assistance, public outreach activities and enforcement of the requirements in the Environmental Conservation Law.
- The Bureau of Pest Management has developed a Mosquito Control page to help with the control of mosquitoes that are vectors for diseases such as West Nile virus, Eastern equine encephalitis and Zika virus. Information including pesticide products, commercial application requirements/categories, can be found on this webpage.
- Phase 2 of the "New York State Pesticide Administration Database" (NYSPAD) portal is now available! You may now access information regarding pesticide: business/agency registration, applicators/technicians, training courses, training course instructors/sponsors and certification/recertification exams. Phase 3 of NYSPAD will allow access to the registered pesticide product information and will be available in the near future.
- The Bureau of Pest Management has released an updated version of the application package "Application for a Permit to Use a Pesticide for the Control of an Aquatic Pest". Further information is available on the Aquatic Pesticides page.
- A Be Green Organic Yards NY Brochure (PDF, 497 KB) was developed to promote and to provide information to consumers about the Be Green Organic Yards NY program and organic landscape services. Save and print a copy for your use (print in landscape mode and flip on the short edge). A high resolution file is available for professional printing upon request.
- Long Island Pesticide Pollution Prevention Strategy - The goal of the Strategy is to protect water quality from pesticide-related contamination, while continuing effective pest management on Long Island. It contains the blueprint for a pesticide pollution prevention approach on Long Island. Meetings involving the Technical Review and Advisory Committee (TRAC) and the Stakeholders were held to discuss the Strategy. Active ingredient fact sheets are currently under development, summarizing best management practices, alternative active ingredients, and non-pesticidal practices.
- Be Green Letter - After collaborating with industry representatives, the NYSDEC has made changes to the Be Green Organic Yards NY organic landscape program.
The Pesticide Reporting and Certification Section can be contacted at 518-402-8748 or PestMgt@dec.ny.gov.
The Pesticide Product Registration Section can be contacted at 518-402-8768 or PPR@dec.ny.gov.
The Pesticide Compliance Section can be contacted at 518-402-8727 or PesticideCompliance@dec.ny.gov.
The PesticidesUpdates list is for NYSDEC to provide the list members with information announcements only.
Sign up for the PesticidesUpdates e-mail notification listserv and get notices sent right to your inbox. Subscribe to GovDelivery, enter your e-mail address, complete and submit the requested information on the "New Subscriber" page. On the "Quick Subscription" page you will see all of the additional topics that you can receive email updates on from DEC. Scroll to the "Prevent and Control Pollution" category and check the box next to "Pesticides." You will receive a welcome email from DEC confirming your subscription(s).
More about Pesticides and Alternatives:
- Mosquito Control - Mosquito control requirements for New York State
- Cooling Tower Applications - Requirements for individuals and businesses/agencies with cooling towers.
- Pesticide Product Registration - The Environmental Conservation Law requires every pesticide product which is used, distributed, sold or offered for sale in New York State to be registered with the NYSDEC.
- Business/Agency Pesticide Information - Information for businesses and agencies who either apply or sell pesticide products.
- Sponsor a Pesticide Course - Information and instructions related to Department approved pesticide training.
- The Pesticide Reporting Law (PRL) - Information regarding pesticide reporting
- Long Island Pesticide Pollution Prevention Strategy - Long Island Pesticide Pollution Prevention Strategy.
- Amended Requirements for Pesticide Commercial Lawn Care Contracts - Chapter 526 of the New York State Laws of 2011 amends the Environmental Conservation Law, regarding the formats certain information can be provided in (written, digital or electronic) for commercial lawn care contracts.
- Amended Requirements for Pesticide Applicators to Provide Product Label Information - Chapter 216 of the New York State Laws of 2007 amends the Environmental Conservation Law, regarding the formats product label information can be requested in (written, digital or electronic) and adding a requirement for the applicator to possess a written copy of that information.
- Aquatic Pesticides - The NYSDEC regulates the application of aquatic pesticides in New York State and is responsible for compliance assistance and public outreach activities to ensure enforcement of State pesticide laws.
- Be Green in the Great Lakes Project - An education and outreach program on alternative land care practices for the Great Lakes Basin. The Land Care and Pest Management Practices brochure provides tips on alternative pest and land management practices - part of pesticide pollution prevention in the Great Lakes basin.
- CleanSweepNY Project - An Environmental Benefit Project for the removal of cancelled, unwanted, unusable, or otherwise obsolete pesticide chemicals.
- Federal Endangered Species Program - USEPA maintains a website regarding endangered species, including information on pesticides management as it relates to endangered species nationwide. The NYSDEC Pesticides Program web page includes a link to that USEPA site and a brief description of its pesticide-related aspects.
- Pest Management and Pesticide Use Brochures - The DEC Pest Management Information Series of brochures are the Department's primary source of information on pest management issues for New York State residents.
- The Neighbor Notification Law, Rule and Regulation - The Neighbor Notification Law, Rule and Regulation.
- Pest Management Forms - a compilation of various forms used in the Pesticides Program.
- Pest Management for Schools, Day Care Centers and Parents - Information regarding Guidance and Policy regarding pesticide prohibition on grounds at schools and day care centers, alternative pest management and the pesticide Neighbor Notification Law.
- Questions and Answers Regarding New York State Pest Management Program - Please take a look at the most recent additions to our series of Q&A about Pesticides Program subjects, such as pesticide product labels, commercial lawn applications, and many more topics.