One of the many roles of the department is to protect New York State's environment and the health of its citizens through innovative, rational, and reasonable management of solid and hazardous and special waste that secures public confidence and provides for sustainable economic development that is responsive to environmental concerns.
We regulate and monitor solid and hazardous waste facilities and generators of hazardous waste; control disposal of radioactive materials; and promote sound management of wastes by communities, businesses and industries.
For information pertaining to recycling or composting in New York, please visit our Recycling and Composting page.
More about Waste Management:
- Hazardous Waste Management - Information on all aspects of hazardous waste management.
- Hazardous Waste Transfer, Storage and Disposal - Managing the safe transfer, storage and disposal of hazardous waste materials.
- Waste Transporters - The New York State Environmental Conservation Law requires that anyone engaged in the transportation of regulated waste generated or disposed of within New York State must possess a valid New York State Part 364 Waste Transporter Permit.
- Solid Waste Management (SWM) Planning - State and Local Solid Waste Management Plans - set forth sustainable and comprehensive strategies for the following years
- Solid Waste, Hazardous Waste, and Pesticide Forms - Forms used in the Division of Materials Management.
- Materials Management Publications for Small Businesses - Publications for Small Businesses from the Division of Materials Management, Bureau of Waste Reduction and Recycling
- Special Wastes - Information regarding the proper handling, disposal and treatment of various special wastes, including Waste Tires, Asbestos, Lumber Pressure Treated With Chromated Copper Arsenate, Regulated Medical Waste, Used Electronic Equipment, Fluorescent and HID Lamps, and Used Oil.
- Solid Waste Management Facilities - General information on New York State's solid waste management facilities, including descriptions of each type of facility.
- State Assistance Programs (Grants) for Waste Reduction, Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Programs - Information on state assistance programs for capital projects, recycling coordinators and household hazardous waste.
- Materials Management Program - The New York State Solid Waste Management Program is administered as a regionalized program. All Part 360 permits, registrations, variances and other permit related determinations regarding the construction and operation of solid waste management facilities are issued on a regional basis.
- Title 6 NYCRR Part 360 Regulations - Summary of changes made to Title 6 NYCRR Part 360 regulations and a link to the sub-parts.