DEC regulates waste streams produced by residents, businesses, and other organizations. Reuse, recycling, and other ways to reduce waste can save you money and are always preferred to disposal.
Find out how to:
Find information related to:
- Managing solid waste
- Submitting solid waste annual reports
- Managing hazardous waste
- Submitting hazardous waste annual reports
- Transporting waste materials
- Managing special wastes, such as oil, fluorescent bulbs, medical waste
Manage collection of:
Find the requirements for:
More about Waste Management:
- Hazardous Waste Management - Information on all aspects of hazardous waste management.
- Hazardous Waste Transfer, Storage and Disposal - Managing the safe transfer, storage and disposal of hazardous waste materials.
- Waste Transporters - The New York State Environmental Conservation Law requires that anyone engaged in the transportation of regulated waste generated or disposed of within New York State must possess a valid New York State Part 364 Waste Transporter Permit.
- Solid Waste Management (SWM) Planning - State and Local Solid Waste Management Plans - set forth sustainable and comprehensive strategies for the following years
- Solid Waste, Hazardous Waste, and Pesticide Forms - Forms used in the Division of Materials Management.
- Materials Management Publications for Small Businesses - Publications for Small Businesses from the Division of Materials Management, Bureau of Waste Reduction and Recycling
- Types of Solid Wastes - Information regarding the proper handling, disposal and treatment of various types of solid wastes, including Construction and Demolition Debris, Industrial/Commercial Waste, Waste Tires, Asbestos, Lumber Pressure Treated With Chromated Copper Arsenate, Regulated Medical Waste, Used Electronic Equipment, Fluorescent and HID Lamps, and Used Oil.
- Solid Waste Management Facilities - General information on New York State's solid waste management facilities, including descriptions of each type of facility.
- State Assistance Programs (Grants) for Waste Reduction, Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Programs - Information on state assistance programs for capital projects, recycling coordinators and household hazardous waste.
- Materials Management Program - The New York State Solid Waste Management Program is administered as a regionalized program. All Part 360 permits, registrations, variances and other permit related determinations regarding the construction and operation of solid waste management facilities are issued on a regional basis.
- Title 6 NYCRR Part 360 Regulations - Summary of changes made to Title 6 NYCRR Part 360 regulations and a link to the sub-parts.