Procedures for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification
Listed below are the steps the candidate should follow to become certified. All other requirements must be met before the applicant submits his/her qualifications to the New York Water Environment Association, NYWEA, and is scheduled to take the certification exam.
- Make sure you meet all of the Certification Requirements.
- Fill out the NYWEA "Application for Approval of Qualifications for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator", and include the following supporting documentation with your package:
- Copy of your High School or College Diploma.
- Completed NYWEA "Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Statement of Experience" Form(s). One form for each WWTP where experience was acquired.
- A Notice of Training Course Completion for each training course required.
- A Notice of Training Course Completion for a NYSDEC approved Basic Laboratory Course, proof that you have satisfactorily completed a NYSDEC laboratory exam (except Grade 1 & 1A candidates), or request an exemption because of relevant chemistry/laboratory degree or professional laboratory experience.
- Submit all complete applications with the supporting documents to:
New York Water Environment Association, NYWEA
525 Plum Street
Syracuse, NY 13204
Out of state operators seeking reciprocity to New York State should also send the application to the above address.