Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Landfills in New York State
Interactive Map of Solid Waste Landfills (leaving DEC's website)
Landfilling of solid waste will continue to be a necessary part of integrated solid waste management systems, since there will always be a need to dispose of waste that cannot be economically reused or recycled or incinerated for energy recovery.
As of January 2016, there were 27 active MSW landfills in New York State. At the end of 2012, the landfills had approximately 200 million tons of capacity remaining including capacity actually constructed and that which was not yet constructed but permitted to be constructed. This equates to approximately 25.3 years of capacity at 7.9 million tons per year.
The minimum liner required for an MSW landfill is a double composite liner with primary and secondary leachate collection and removal systems. The double composite liner system allows for the performance of the system to be regularly evaluated to ensure adequate protection of groundwater resources.
State assistance grants are available for eligible municipal landfill closure projects.
More about Municipal Solid Waste Landfills:
- Emission Guidelines for MSW Landfill Emissions - On November 21, 1998, all municipal solid waste landfill (MSW) owners or operators in New York State were required to submit a design capacity report to this Department by February 21, 1999
- Landfill Gas Recovery Facilities - General information on Landfill Gas Recovery Facilities in New York State, including a listing of the active Landfill Gas Recovery Facilities.
- Active MSW Landfills in New York State - Map of active MSW landfills in NYS
- 2013 MSW Landfill Capacity Chart - Solid waste capacity chart, including waste quantities, annual permit limits and existing entitled capacities.
- Components of A Modern Municipal Solid Waste Landfill's Environmental Containment System - A description of the landfill liner and cover system components required for municipal solid waste landfills in New York State.
- Landfill Liner and Cover Systems-The Geomembrane - A description of the geomembrane used in landfill liner systems.
- Landfill Gas - General information on landfill gas and landfill gas vents.
- Solid Waste Management Facility Groundwater Monitoring Well Design - A description of groundwater monitoring wells used at landfills.