Solid Waste Landfills
The following links provide a description of each of these types of landfills that are used to manage solid waste in New York State:
Ash Monofill Landfills - There are two active ash monofill landfills in New York State. Ash from the combustion of municipal solid waste is disposed of at these facilities.
Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris Landfills - Construction and Demolition Debris that is not processed is disposed of in a C&D landfill.
Industrial/Commercial Waste Landfills - Industrial Waste Landfills are used for the disposal of industrial wastes such as coal ash and paper mill sludges.
Landfill Gas Recovery Facilities - Landfill gas recovery facilities collect the gases produced from the decomposition of solid waste for the purpose of energy recovery.
Long Island Landfills - Additional restrictions have been placed on landfills located in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Municipal Solid Waste Landfills - Mixed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) consisting of residential, institutional and commercial waste must be disposed of at a MSW landfill.
More about Solid Waste Landfills:
- State Assistance Guidelines for SW Municipal Landfill Closure Projects - Municipalities that have inactive solid waste landfills or landfills that will be inactive within 18 months of application that have eligible closure costs incurred after April 1, 1993.
- Ash Monofill Landfills - General information on Ash Monofill Landfills in New York State, including a listing of active Ash Monofill Landfills.
- Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills - General information on Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills in New York State, including a listing of active Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills.
- Industrial/Commercial Landfills - General information on Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills in New York State, including definitions and a listing of active Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills.
- Long Island Landfills - General information on Long Island Landfills.
- Emission Guidelines for MSW Landfill Emissions - On November 21, 1998, all municipal solid waste landfill (MSW) owners or operators in New York State were required to submit a design capacity report to this Department by February 21, 1999