Solid Waste Landfills
In 2009, 10.6 million tons of solid waste were disposed of in New York State landfills, considerably less than the 14.1 million tons of solid waste that was landfilled in 1990. As of February 2012, there were 26 active municipal solid waste landfills, 16 active industrial/commercial waste landfills, 12 construction and demolition (C&D) landfills, and 5 active Long Island landfills.
The following links provide a description of each of these types of landfills that are used to manage solid waste in New York State:
Ash Monofill Landfills - There are three active ash monofill landfills in New York State. Ash from the combustion of municipal solid waste is disposed of at these facilities.
Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris Landfills - Construction and Demolition Debris that is not processed is disposed of in a C&D landfill.
Industrial/Commercial Waste Landfills - Industrial Waste Landfills are used for the disposal of industrial wastes such as coal ash and paper mill sludges.
Landfill Gas Recovery Facilities - Landfill gas recovery facilities collect the gases produced from the decomposition of solid waste for the purpose of energy recovery.
Long Island Landfills - Additional restrictions have been placed on landfills located in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Municipal Solid Waste Landfills - Mixed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) consisting of residential, institutional and commercial waste must be disposed of at a MSW landfill.
More about Solid Waste Landfills:
- State Assistance Guidelines for SW Municipal Landfill Closure Projects - Municipalities that have inactive solid waste landfills or landfills that will be inactive within 18 months of application that have eligible closure costs incurred after April 1, 1993.
- Ash Monofill Landfills - General information on Ash Monofill Landfills in New York State, including a listing of active Ash Monofill Landfills.
- Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills - General information on Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills in New York State, including a listing of active Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills.
- Industrial/Commercial Landfills - General information on Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills in New York State, including definitions and a listing of active Construction and Demolition Debris Landfills.
- Long Island Landfills - General information on Long Island Landfills.
- Emission Guidelines for MSW Landfill Emissions - On November 21, 1998, all municipal solid waste landfill (MSW) owners or operators in New York State were required to submit a design capacity report to this Department by February 21, 1999