Sea Lamprey Events
Sea Lamprey Control
2012 Lake Champlain Sea Lamprey Control Schedule
Lampricide Treatments - Fall 2012
The Lake Champlain Fish and Wildlife Management Cooperative (Cooperative) will be applying lampricides to portions of five tributaries to Lake Champlain and two deltas during the months of September and October.
Five tributaries of Lake Champlain are scheduled for treatment with TFM.
- Missisquoi River in Franklin County, VT
- Winooski River (combination treatment) in Chittenden County, VT
- Great Chazy in Essex County, NY
- Mill Brook in Essex County NY
- Mount Hope Brook in Washington County, NY
Two deltas of Lake Champlain tributaries are scheduled for treatment with granular Bayluscide
- Saranac River Delta in Clinton County, NY
- Mill Brook Delta in Essex County, NY
Temporary water use advisories will be in effect for each of the treatments to minimize human exposure to affected waters. Both state's Departments of Health recommend treated river and lake water not be used for drinking, swimming, fishing, irrigation, or livestock watering while the advisories are in effect. The treatments and water use advisories will have no effect on most residents in the Champlain Basin and no municipal water supply systems will be affected.
|Stream||Length of Advisory Area in Miles|
to Stream Mouth
|Lake Area North
of Stream Mouth
of Stream Mouth
|Lake Great Chazy River, NY||21.5||2.0||3.5|
|Saranac River delta, NY||NA||2.0||3.0|
|Mill Brook and its delta, NY||0.4||0.5||0.5|
|Mount Hope Brook, NY||2.4||4.0||NA|
|Winooski River, VT||10.5||4.5||3|
|Missisquoi River, VT||7.8||2||All U.S. portions of
Local television and radio stations will broadcast the dates when advisories begin and expire. The treatment schedule is subject to change as weather conditions, stream flows, or logistical issues may arise during the treatments.
Call toll-free 1-888-596-0611 to get information on the schedule for each of the treatments, progress reports, updates on treatments, and water use advisories.
2011 Lake Champlain Sea Lamprey Control
Lampricide Treatments - Fall 2011
Three tributaries of Lake Champlain were treated with TFM.
- Boquet River in Essex County, NY
- Poultney River in Washington County, NY and Rutland County, VT
- Hubbardton River (tributary to the Poultney River) - Rutland County, VT
A delta of Lake Champlain tributaries was treated with granular Bayluscide
- Little Ausable River/Ausable River Delta Complex in Essex County, NY