There are many careers available in the environmental field, and DEC offers exciting opportunities for qualified individuals looking to make a difference in environmental protection and natural resource management. This is your gateway page to explore the options available to you to join our workforce and share in the satisfaction of making a positive impact on our environment.
The mission of the Department is to protect the natural resources of New York State, the most valuable resources we have in protecting and improving our environment is the human resource.
There are four major ways for you to become actively involved with DEC. Review the options that follow and then explore the links for further information.
More about Employment:
- Permanent Employment - The Department of Environmental Conservation has over 3,000 permanent positions statewide; the people in these positions are directly working in the environmental field or in support of protecting the environment. Most of these positions are covered by Civil Service Law.
- Seasonal Employment - In order to accomplish the varied programs of the Department, there is a continuing need for temporary staff. From summer employment at camp grounds in the Adirondack Park to winter employment at Belleayre Mountain, our seasonal employees provide valuable support to supplement our permanent work force.
- Internships - To support the growth and development of a future workforce concerned with the environment, the Department provides numerous opportunities for students to gain practical experience in their chosen career field. The majority of internships with the Department are unpaid.
- Volunteers - Thousands of New Yorkers donate their time and services in support of environmental issues in partnership with the Department. From volunteers who work a single day on a clean-up project, are a part of a Friends programs at an educational center, to those who have made a long term commitment under a Volunteer Stewardship Agreement or an Adopt-A-Natural Resource agreement, there are many ways you can help improve or increase the public's enjoyment of the States resources.
- Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement - NYSDEC strives to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment.