Assemblyman Sweeney's Letter
The following is a web version of the correspondence letter; a PDF version (902 kb) is also available to view.
September 28, 2010
Governor David A. Paterson
Albany, NY 12224
Dear Governor Paterson,
I write you now regarding a letter I received from the New York Stelte Conservation Fund Advisory Board (CFAB) cxpressing concern regarding the proposal put forward by the Office of Taxpayer Accountability and the Division of Budget to incorporate DECALS into the statewide multi-agency E-Licensing program.
DECALS is a computerized licensing system that provides sportspersons with hunting, trapping, and fishing licenses and permits. DECALS is available at many sporting goods stores, license issuing outlets, municipal clerks' office, online and by telephone.
I have numerous questions regarding the proposal to incorporate DECALS into the E-Licensing program. My questions are:
- Will all the current features of DECALS be included in the new E.Licensing Program;
- If not, what services and activities will require a separate contract to match the functionality of the DECALS System;
- Will DEC have the ability to develop and administer multiple contracts to cover all of the DECALS functions that are currently provided;
- Will all of the services be available by May of 2012 when the current DECALS contract expires;
- How does this proposal impact the DECALS renewal RFP and future contract;
- Will the cost of the E-licensing Program exceed that of the DECALS system;
- Will the General Fund pay for the cost of development and annually administering the E-license system;
- What is the cost of these considerations ot the Conservation Fund;
- How will the investments made by the Conservation Fund in developing DECALS be recognized;
- How will game reporting and tag issuance be incorporated;
- Will data from E- Licensing continue to meet the requirements of the Interstate Violator Compact; and
- Will E-Licensing be in compliance with the NYS Memorandum of Agreement with the National Marine Fisheries Service in regard to the Angler Registry Program?
To begin to address these concerns, I request that a meeting be held between the Office of Taxpayer Accountability, the Department of Environmental Conservation, and my office.
Finally, I would appreciate receiving an itemized accounting of spending from the conservation Fund.
Thank you for your atention to this matter.
Very truly yours,
Robert K. Sweeney, Chair
New York State Assembly
Environmental Conservation Committee
NYS Office of Taxpayer Accountability
NYS Depar1mcnt of Environmental Conscrvation