Employment Opportunities in Summer Recreation
Summer Recreation operates 52 public campgrounds and 6 day-use areas throughout the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. Over 600 seasonal employees are employed to provide varied services throughout the summer season. All hiring is done through regional offices.
Most Common Titles
Conservation Recreation Facilities Supervisor - Two years of experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled trades person or completion of an appropriate two year technical school course.
Lifeguard - Must be at least 16 years of age (Preference given to 18 years and up). Possess current certification in lifeguard training or equivalent, community first aid and safety or equivalent, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation or equivalent. Must pass DEC's practical exam in Lifesaving and CPR skills.
Park and Recreation Aide Series - Must be physically able to perform a variety of maintenance duties. May require valid driver's license.
Conservation Security Worker (previously Conservation Park Ranger) - Must be in good physical condition. Must possess a motor vehicle operator's license and have completed either (A) a one year course at a ranger school, or similar learning institution, in a park or natural resource management, law enforcement or similar curriculum; or (B) one season (6 months minimum) of recreation facility experience involving contact with the public or in the enforcement of laws, rules and regulations; or (C) one year of working or interacting with the public in a recreational facility; or (D) one year of environmental experience in a remote wilderness setting; or (E) have six months work experience in law enforcement, security services employment, military service or similar experience actively involved with public contact or in the enforcement of laws, policies, and rules and regulations; or (F) have completed at least 15 college credit hours in criminal justice or similar course work.
Would you like to work in New York State's beautiful Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves this summer?
Most jobs will start the last part of May and run through Labor Day. The current hourly rate is approximately $13.27. Qualifications for employment are:
- Minimum age is 16.
- At the time of employment, all candidates must possess current certifications in American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer (or the equivalent) and the American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding Certificate (or the equivalent). Also American Red Cross First Aid (or equivalent) if not included in lifeguard training course. All certifications must remain current through the entire operating season. Candidates may participate in the practical examination without the above certifications; however, they must be provided before employment begins.
- Candidates must successfully complete the lifeguard practical exam of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) or the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). The DEC and OPRHP are two separate state agencies that hire lifeguards. By accepting each other's test results, the two agencies are working together to provide candidates with more testing opportunities throughout New York State. For further information about employment at a particular facility, please contact the region most convenient for you. For further information about employment as a lifeguard at an OPRHP facility, please visit their web site (see Links Leaving DEC's Website at right).
- New candidates must undergo an interview by regional staff; the purpose of which is to evaluate an individual's maturity, related work, or other experience along with the ability to communicate and demonstration of job related knowledge. The interview will be conducted without regard to sex, race, color, creed or national origin, marital status or physical or mental disability that does not relate to the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- After receiving a conditional offer of employment, each candidate will be required to submit a current New York State Department of Environmental Conservation "Medical Standards and Examination Findings" form with a physician's certification that the candidate is physically capable of performing lifeguard duties. As per the new Agency standard, lifeguard candidates must meet the vision requirement of 20/70 uncorrected vision in both eyes and be correctable to the 20/40 standard. Candidates tested at a vision level below 20/40 in either one or both eyes must correct to a minimum of 20/40 with 20/20 preferred. If there is any question concerning a candidate's physical status, the returning lifeguard will be required to complete a standard medical examination. All medical records will be held in confidence.
- All lifeguards will be required to attend a lifeguard orientation program. Dates and locations will be announced at a later date. All candidates will be required to bring copies of certifications to the orientation.
- Pre-registration for all lifeguards taking the DEC exam. All lifeguards wishing to take the DEC exam must pre-register with the central office no later than one week prior to the scheduled exam. Any lifeguard who fails to pre-register and shows up for the exam will not be allowed to participate if the examiner to testee ratio has been met. DEC will only allow five OPRHP guards to test at each exam. Only pre-registered OPRHP guards will have their test results forwarded to OPRHP. In the event of an exam cancelation you will be notified. We will not call you to remind you of the exam - it is your responsibility to get to the exam and to be on time. The contact number for pre-registration is 518-457-2500 ext. #1. You may also e-mail us
For more information and a schedule of testing dates and locations, contact:
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Albany, N.Y. 12233-5253
or call 518-457-2500 x1
|Saturday January 9th||9:00 a.m.||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Saturday February 13th||9:00 a.m.||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Saturday March 5th||9:00 a.m.||Kingston High School||403 Broadway||Kingston|
|Sunday March 13th||2:00 p.m.||Glens Falls High School||15 Quade Street||Glens Falls|
|Saturday April 2nd||9:00 a.m.||Holland Patent High School||8079 Thomson Road||Holland Patent|
|Sunday April 3rd||2:00 p.m.||Moriah Central School||39 Viking Lake||Port Henry|
|Saturday April 16th||9:00 a.m.||South Lewis Central School||4264 East Road||Turin|
|Sunday April 17th||9:00 a.m.||Paul Smiths College (Saunders Sports Complex)||Route 30||Saranac Lake|
|Saturday April 23rd||2:00 p.m.||SUNY Cobleskill (Bouck Hall)||State Route 7||Cobleskill|
|Sunday May 1st||9:00 a.m.||SUNY Delhi (Kunsela Hall)||2 Main Street||Delhi|
|Saturday May 7th||9:00 a.m.||Kingston High School||403 Broadway||Kingston|
|Saturday May 14th||9:00 a.m.||Queensbury Elementary School||431 Aviation Road||Queensbury|
|Saturday May 21st||9:00 a.m.||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Saturday June 11th||9:00 a.m.||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Sunday June 12th||2:00 p.m.||Paul Smiths College (Saunders Sports Complex)||Route 30||Saranac Lake|
Pre-registering is required 518-457-2500 x1 or via email email@example.com
Candidates must arrive at the specified start time. Exams will begin on time. Late arrivals will not be accepted
We reserve the right to cancel exams. In the event of an exam cancelation we will do our best to notify you in a timely
DEC Regional Office Contacts and Addresses
|Regional Office||Contact Name||Phone Number||Mailing Address|
|Reg. 3 New Paltz||Dale O'Bryon||845-256-3099||21 S. Putts Corners Rd., New Paltz NY 12561|
|Reg. 4 Schenectady||Dave Campochiaro||518-357-2289||1130 N. Westcott Rd., Schenectady NY 12306|
|Reg. 5 Northville||Max Rulison||518-863-4545 x3015||PO Box 1316, Northville NY 12134|
|Reg. 5 Indian Lake||Ellen King||518-648-5616||PO Box 246, Indian Lake NY 12842|
|Reg. 5 Warrensburg||June VanHeussen||518-623-1200||232 Gold Course Rd. Warrensburg NY 12885|
|Reg. 5 Ray Brook||Nicholas McKay||518-897-1316||PO Box 296, Ray Brook NY 12977|
|Reg. 6 Herkimer||Kevin Reed||315-866-6330||225 N. Main St., Herkimer NY 13350|
|Reg. 6 Potsdam||Mike Toohey||315-265-3090||6739 U.S. Highway 11, Potsdam NY 13676|