Division of Environmental Permits
Our mission is: "To manage the Department of Environmental Conservation's permit system, provide related public information, perform comprehensive environmental analyses to assure timely and consistent decisions so that protection of the environment is balanced with social and economic considerations."
The Division of Environmental Permits (DEP) manages the Department's review of environmental permit applications required by the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL). These permits protect New York State's air and water quality, wildlife and mineral resources.
Applications are reviewed according to the Uniform Procedures Regulations (link leaves DEC's website). These regulations provide time frames and procedures for:
- Filing and reviewing applications
- Providing public notice
- Holding public hearings
- Reaching final decisions
The DEP Project Manager leads a cross-disciplinary team of DEC professionals in conducting a fair, timely and comprehensive environmental analysis of the project which balances environmental protection with social and ecological considerations.
Projects that meet regulatory standards are authorized with appropriate conditions for conserving natural resources and environmental quality.
See additional information about Getting an Environmental Permit.
DEP helps other state agencies and local governments fulfill their responsibilities under the State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) Act.
DEP's Pollution Prevention Unit promotes pollution prevention in business, government and institutions. The PPU:
- Manages the NYS Pollution Prevention Institute;
- Recognizes organizations that are improving the State's environment and economy;
- Supports reduction in hazardous waste generation; and
- Supports the State's effort to procure environmentally friendly products, and to make State agency operations more sustainable.
More about Division of Environmental Permits:
- Regional Permit Administrators - Listing of Division of Environmental Permits Regional and Deputy Permit Administrators.