Division of Materials Management
We are pleased to be able to provide information to you through this convenient and increasingly more important medium. We will strive to provide the information you most commonly seek about the Division of Materials Management. But, if you don't find what you need here, please contact us at the phone number listed in the right hand column of this page.
Benefits to the Public
We are teaching and promoting waste reduction, reuse, recycling and composting to reduce the impacts of waste on human health and the environment to the benefit all of us, individuals, businesses and our communities. We support local community solid waste planning, the beneficial use of waste materials, extended producer responsibility and product stewardship. Through these programs we strive to reduce the costs of managing waste to taxpayers and local governments.
We permit environmentally sound solid waste management facilities, including landfills and municipal waste combustors. We regulate pesticides and are responsible for compliance assistance, public outreach activities and enforcement of State pesticide laws.
The Mission of the Division of Materials Management is to Protect the Environment and Public Health Through Fulfillment of Two Broad Goals:
- Minimize waste and maximize the use of recyclable materials, while ensuring that solid waste management facilities within the State are operated properly. By capturing the economic value of materials, their imbedded energy is conserved and the generation of greenhouse gases and pollution is minimized.
- Ensure safe and appropriate management of pesticides and provide protection from exposure to them, through regulation of pesticide registration, sales and application and related enforcement/compliance, as well as technical assistance and outreach.
Division Organizational Structure
Division Director - Sal Ervolina, P.E.
Assistant Division Director - Robert Phaneuf, P.E.
Division Secretary - Kathy Manzari
Bureau of Permitting and Planning - Bureau Director, Dave Vitale, P.E.
- Compliance and Resource Management Section - Michael McTague
- Facilities Section - Richard Clarkson, P.E.
- Planning and Municipal Assistance Section - Gus Carayiannis, P.E.
Bureau of Waste Reduction and Recycling - Bureau Director, Peter Pettit, P.E.
- Product Stewardship and Waste Reduction - Mark Moroukian, P.E.
- Recycling and Outreach - Thomas Lynch, P.E.
- Organics Recycling and Beneficial Reuse - Sally Rowland, P.E.
- Toxics Reduction and Green Chemistry - Aida Potter, P.E.
Bureau of Pest Management - Bureau Director, Scott Menrath, P.E.
- Product Registration and Pest Management Alternatives - Jeanine Broughel
- Compliance and Lab Services - Anthony Lamanno
- Reporting and Certification - Vacant