Bureau of Flood Protection and Dam Safety
Bureau Director: Alan A. Fuchs, P.E.
Administration: Secretary Phone: 518-402-8185 Fax: 518-402-9029
The Bureau of Flood Protection and Dam Safety cooperates with federal, state, regional, and local partners to protect lives and property from floods, coastal erosion and dam failures through floodplain management and both structural and non-structural means; and, provides support for information technology needs in the Division.
- Coastal Management; Sue McCormick, P.E., Section Chief - This Section works to reduce coastal erosion and storm damage to protect lives, natural resources, and properties through structural and non-structural means.
- Dam Safety; Alon Dominitz, P.E., Section Chief - This Section is responsible for reviewing repairs and modifications to dams, and assuring that dam owners operate and maintain dams in a safe condition through inspections, technical reviews, enforcement, and emergency planning.
- Flood Control Projects; Stephen Len, P.E., Section Chief - This Section is responsible for reducing flood risk to life and property through construction, operation and maintenance of flood control facilities.
- Floodplain Management; Bill Nechamen, CFM, Section Chief - This Section is responsible for reducing flood risk to life and property through proper management of activities including, development in flood hazard areas and review and development of revised flood maps.
- Fiscal Planning and Management, Phil Gallagher, Section Chief - This section manages FEMA grants, Bureau of Flood Protection and Dam Safety contracts, Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grants, Capital Projects, Temporary Service Contracts, WQIP contracts and office operations.