DEC Region 3 Office
Serving Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties
About Region 3
Region 3 is characterized by an extraordinarily diverse and striking landscape. The Catskill mountains, Shawangunk Ridge, Hudson River and the valleys between are home to a diversity of plant and animal life that is a magnet for those who love the outdoors. Equally diverse are the region's communities, from densely-populated Westchester County to rural Sullivan County.
Did you know?
- 2.3 million New Yorkers live in Region 3 (12% of New York's population)
- The Catskill Park, established in 1885 and managed by DEC, is 1000 times the size of Central Park.
- Region 3 has over 230,000 acres of state land and four National Natural Landmarks
- Some of the top trout streams in the country, the Beaverkill and Willowemoc, are located in Region 3
- The Catskill Fish Hatchery in Sullivan County stocks 350,000 yearling brown trout each year in waters across the state.
- Eighteen of New York City's 20 drinking water reservoirs are in the region.
Main Headquarters: 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, NY 12561
Tel: (845) 256-3000
Regional Director: Martin Brand (845) 256-3033
White Plains sub-office: 100 Hillside Ave. Suite 1W, White Plains NY 10603
Tel: (914) 428-2505
Fax: (914) 428-0323
Office Hours: 8:30 to 4:45 M-F, except for state and federal holidays
The Catskill Park has 98 peaks over 3000
feet in elevation--all within a two-hour drive
from New York City. (Photo: Frank Knight)
See the full Region 3 phone directory
Helpful web links and phone contacts
- To submit a request for records under the Freedom of Information Act, email r3foil.Foil@dec.ny.gov
Report possible environmental violations
- Report poaching, pollution or other possible violations online
- Contact the dispatch office for regional Environmental Conservation Officers at (845) 256-3013
(after hours and weekends, call central dispatch: 1-877-457-5680).
- For problems with smoke from outdoor wood boilers call (845) 256-3035.
Oil and chemical spills
- To report a spill, call the Spills Hotline 800-457-7362.
- For information on a specific spill, use the searchable spills database or call (845) 256-3121 .
Wildlife Sightings or Problems
After 100 years absence, bald eagles
now nest at over 40 sites in the region.
(Photo: Bob Rightmyer)
- Nuisance wildlife issues: Call (845)-256-3098 to get the name of a licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Officer. See tips on how to discourage nuisance wildlife
- Deer damage permits: Call (845) 256-3098
- Reporting injured, sick or dead wildlife: See instructions on what to do or call: (845) 256-3098
- Report a bear sighting: Call (845) 256-3098
- For any other wildlife-related questions, call the Region 3's General Wildlife line: (845) 256-3098
Permits (wetlands, pond construction, disturbances to stream banks, dredging, filling, etc.)
- See the full range of permits and licenses issued by DEC organized by topic
- Find state-regulated freshwater wetlands, water quality classifications, rare animal and plants and other natural resource data using the online Environmental Resource Mapper
- Get help filling out an Environmental Assessment Form (short or full) by using the EAF Mapper
- Check the status of a permit application using the DART search wizard
- Still have questions? Speak to one of Region 3's Permits staff at (845) 256-3054
The region boasts many top trout fishing
streams, such as the Beaverkill and
Hunting, Trapping and Fishing
- To find state land that allows hunting call (845) 256-3098
- Get the free NY Fishing Hunting and Wildlife app for your smartphone
- Find a place to fish or call (845) 256-3161 for specific questions.
- Find public fishing rights (easements on private property where anglers may fish) in Region 3
- Find a boat launch or call (845) 256-3161
- Buy a hunting, fishing or trapping license. For general hunting and trapping questions, call (845) 256-3098.
- Information about wildlife management areas in Region 3
Outdoor Recreation and Maps
- Links to information on state lands (including parks, forests) in Region 3
- Use our online mapping tool to create and print custom recreation maps of any area in New York State
- There are four DEC campgrounds in Region 3: Beaverkill , Kenneth L. Wilson , Mongaup Pond and Woodland Valley. Make a reservation at these, or any DEC campground, at ReserveAmerica (see links leaving DEC's website at right).
- Call (845) 256-3083 to request a Catskill Park Map and Guide .
- For back-country camping permits (required for camping three nights or more, or in groups or 10 or more), call (845) 256-3026.
- Find a watchable wildlife site in the Catskills or Hudson Valley.
- For any questions about DEC state forests or the Catskill Forest Preserve call (845) 256-3076.
Region 3 Seasonal Gate Closings and Openings
Access to certain roads in State Forests is seasonally restricted to protect the public or allow recreational uses. See the current list of gate openings and closings
More about DEC Region 3 Office:
- Seasonal Road Access in Region 3 - A list of roads that are seasonally opened and closed on state forests located in the Catskill area of southeastern NY.