Legal Assistant 2
Applications accepted from current State employees, former permanent competitive class employees eligible for reinstatement. You must meet the minimum qualification.
|Posting Specific Information|
|Application Due By||8/07/15|
|Title||Legal Assistant 2|
|Location: City DEC Region Division/Bureau||Albany
Office of General Counsel
|$49,488 - $63,001 Effective 04/14
|Work Days||Mon. - Fri.|
|Employment Type||Permanent Budgeted Item|
|Appointment Type||Permanent/Contingent Permanent|
|Bargaining Unit/MC||PS&T 05 (PEF)|
|Duties/Responsibilities||The Legal Assistant 2 responsibilities, under the general direction of staff attorneys, include:
- compiling, organizing, managing, and tracking of voluminous enforcement dockets;
- preparing and assisting in the preparation of legal documents, forms, and correspondence;
- respond in a timely manner to inquiries from the regulated community;
- track cases, maintain enforcement matter calendars, and ensure deadlines are met;
- conduct research into complex legal matters, analyze materials, and present both verbal and written comments on findings;
- coordinate with all appropriate parties to schedule pre-hearing conferences and administrative hearings
- keep legal staff and program staff apprised of enforcement activities;
- conduct service of process;
- conduct and assist with settlement conferences;
- act as program staff witness in administrative hearings;
- assist with preparation of case referral packages, FOIL responses and subpoenas;
- conduct training of legal interns;
- assist with various Remediation Bureau cases and matters are requested
Strictly adhered to based on
Civil Service requirements
Reassignment - Currently in the title and an employee of DEC
Reinstatement Eligible - Previously held the title on a permanent competitive basis or held a title as indicated under the transfer eligible section on a permanent competitive basis.
Transfer Eligible - One year of permanent competitive service at Salary Grade 15 or higher and:
Open competitive minimum qualifications (provided for 70.4 transfer eligibles):
Either 1. A bachelor's degree in legal studies, paralegal studies, or legal assistant studies from an accredited
DEFINITION: A Paralegal is someone who applies knowledge of the law and legal procedures in rendering direct assistance to lawyers, clients, and courts; prepares and interprets legal documents; researches, compiles, and uses information from legal materials; and analyzes and handles procedural problems that involve independent decisions.
SUBSTITUTION: Graduation from an accredited law school will be accepted as meeting the educational requirements.
If there is a viable promotion examination eligible list (three acceptors) for this position, candidates who qualify based on 70.4 transfer or under the 55-b/55-c options cannot be considered.
Qualified candidates should forward a resume and/or Employment Application which clearly indicates how the minimum qualifications are met and includes the Control Number. If you are applying for more than one posting, you must submit a separate resume or Employment Application for each control number. Send to:
Department of Environmental Conservation
Fax: (518) 402-9038
If you are a permanent NYS employee not employed by the Department of Environmental Conservation or applying for reinstatement, please provide your social security number so that appointment eligibility may be verified.
State Employees: If you wish to receive an acknowledgement that your application for this posting was received by the Bureau of Personnel and then receive information on the disposition of the position, please attach two self-addressed stamped envelopes (preferably inter-office or inter-agency) to the application. If you are applying for more than one position, you must include two envelopes for each position.
Some vacancies may be anticipated and may not result in an appointment. Application for any position listed may not result in an interview.