There are many careers available in the environmental field, and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation offers exciting opportunities for qualified individuals looking to make a difference in environmental protection and natural resource management.
To obtain a permanent state job you will be competing under the provisions of Civil Service Law which requires that positions be filled based on merit and fitness.
Unsolicited resumes and applications for permanent positions are not accepted and will be discarded. See Listing of Job Vacancies and DEC Examination Announcements for information on positions for which we are soliciting a resume and/or Employment Application (PDF) (388 KB).
If after exploring the information on employment, you have any questions, use the "Send us an email" link in the right column.
More about Permanent Employment:
- Listing of Job Vacancies - Current job vacancies at NYSDEC
- DEC Examination Announcements - Listing of Civil Service Examinations currently accepting applications for titles used in the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Also includes a listing of anticipated examination announcements dates for DEC titles.
- Careers in Environmental Conservation - NYSDEC offers career opportunities in environmental protection and natural resource management.
- Civil Service Basics - How to get hired by New York State. Fundamental information on the civil service process which governs the hiring of employees at DEC and most State agencies.
- Employee Benefits - Listing of some of the benefits you would enjoy as a permanent, full-time employee working for the Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Minimum Qualifications for DEC Job Titles - Detailed descriptions of titles including minimum qualifications.