Energy and Climate
The Energy / Climate Change Connection
Foresighted state policies have made
New York fifth in the nation for climate-
friendly renewable electricity.
This section explores energy, climate and the connections between them. The focus is on the policies, programs and plans DEC and New York State have made to reduce emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases and to help New Yorkers adapt as the climate changes.
Information on New York's energy resources, including oil, natural gas and renewable sources can also be accessed from the links on this page.
Energy Production in NY
How New York's current energy needs are met
- Data on oil, gas and solution salt wells in NY
- Exploration of shale gas reserves/hydraulic fracturing
- Oil and gas lease information for landowners
- Renewable energy production: the portion of New York's energy needs currently met by hydroelectric, wind, solar, biomass, etc.
Energy Policy & Planning
The cheapest and cleanest energy is
the energy saved by efficient buildings,
equipment and vehicles.
Policies and plans promoting conservation, energy efficiency, increased use of renewable energy and greener transportation initiatives to help New York combat climate change and achieve our energy goals.
- New York State Energy Plan: The 2014 draft plan is available (See links leaving DEC's website at right).
- State policies that promote renewables
- Regional sustainability planning
Energy and Climate Programs
Existing programs that are moving New York towards a sustainable future.
- Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative: Reducing CO2 emissions through market-based emissions trading.
- Greenhouse gas inventory and reduction
- Growing New York's Clean Energy Economy
New Yorkers face health risks and
mounting costs as our climate changes.
What climate change scientists are telling us and how we can respond as individuals and at the community and regional level.
- Climate change science and the impacts of climate change in New York
- Climate Smart Communities: Join other communities and take action to combat climate change at the local level.
- Sea level rise: Projections and how sea level rise will affect New York
- Climate change resources for students, teachers and everyone
More about Energy and Climate:
- Oil and Gas - Facts about oil, gas and solution salt wells in New York State, environmental regulations concerning oil and gas well drilling and information for landowners on leasing well rights.
- Climate Change - How climate change is affecting New York, what state government is doing and what New Yorkers can do about greenhouse gas emissions and climate adaptation.
- Community Sustainability - Regional sustainability planning and the Governors Cleaner Greener Communities program
- Clean Energy - What New York is doing to reduce fossil fuel consumption and energy waste and extract clean energy from renewable resources.